39. Blue Lips

Yes, I'm finally back after that gruesome cliffhanger I left you guys on. 

Don't forget to comment and vote! Enjoy!

--

 Blue Lips

I rushed to Dylan's side, my heart racing. What was happening? My voice caught in my throat, not being able to make a sound even when I tried to. I wanted to call out his name, call out for help, but I couldn't.

He was reaching for his bag, so I did it for him, dumping out all the contents. I didn't know what I was looking for. "In-inhaler." My eyes snapped to his, finally realizing what was happening. An asthma attack. I've never seen one happen ... until today.

Two bottles of medication fell out along with clothes and his wallet. No inhaler.

Fuck.

I rummaged through the bag, still finding nothing. My eyes watered but I refused to let my emotions get in the way. "Dylan, i-it's not there. It's not." Panic from my voice now reaching my ears; I was finally able to speak. "Dylan, I-I—"

I stood up, running to the side where the four were still taking their time walking up. "Amber! Help, it's Dylan! He c-can't breathe." My voice came out scratchy, but I hoped they understood me. It seemed like they did. I returned to Dylan who was still trying to take in his breaths, but couldn't properly, wheezing taking in place now. He clutched his throat and chest, hoping for his breathing for get easier. It didn't.

I silently prayed Amber could help, her three years of med school most likely taught that. Right?

"Shit shit shit!" Hunter came running to us, also dumping his bag empty rummaging through his clothes and items. He produced a blue inhaler, shaking it before handing it off. With trembling hands Dylan managed to grab it, inhaling a dose or two in.

I let out the breath I didn't know I was holding when his breathing returned to normal after a moment. Amber and Hunter stayed at his side, trying to help him in any way they could as Tia and Clyde were there for support too.

I took a step back. It was too much. I needed a minute to breathe for myself. I stepped away from the others. I heard Hunter yell at Dylan for being irresponsible in the background as I walked to the other side of the clearing, hiding behind a big trunk that belonged to a tree, leaning against it.

Several minutes later I heard footsteps approach me. It didn't take a genius to figure out who it was when my name was called out. I rubbed my eyes, trying to get rid of any signs, but he was already here. He would know the second his eyes landed on mine.

"I was wondering where you ran off to," he chuckled, trying to get a reaction of out me. I didn't laugh. I couldn't. How could he make light of his situation? He sobered up when he came face to face with me, his grin dropping. "Hey, what's wrong?" He walked closer to me, his eyebrows scrunched up. It didn't seem like he literally had a death attack moments earlier. His lips were blue.

"Are y-you okay?" My voice came out shaky. I tried to contain the tremble in my hands by clasping one over the other. I kept my back against the tree, not able to trust myself to hold me up.

"I am now, yeah." He nodded, taking a small step closer to me. His eyes wandered all over my face before falling back to my eyes, something flashing in the deep blue eyes of his. "I'm sorry," he said quietly. "I didn't mean to scare you."

"T-That's not okay, Dylan," I choked out, shaking my head. My hands gripped the trunk, trying to stabilize myself.

I had so many questions. Why didn't he have his inhaler on him? Why did he have mine and Clyde's medication on him? Why didn't I know he had a serious case of asthma? I didn't want to make this about me, but I needed answers.