10. Appropriation

Appropriation 

"Shut the fuck up," I snapped at Mariana who began to groan way too loudly early in the morning. Bright light streamed through the blinds, making my head pound even more. She groaned again, and I gave her a light shove. What I didn't know was that she was on the edge of the bed, so I pushed her off.

"Ow!" Not even a minute later, a knock appeared on the door. "Come in," she groaned, trying to pick herself up from the ground.

"What did you do?" I heard James voice ring. I grabbed Mariana's pillow and shoved it on my face. My head was pounding.

"Shh! Take her and leave!" I tried to close my eyes, blocking out the sounds coming from Mariana as James helped her out of the room.

I think I got a couple of minutes of sleep in before another knock came. "Tesoro?" Immediately I knew it was my mom.

"Yes mama?" I lifted my head off the pillow turning my head slightly in her direction, seeing as that I was on my belly.

"It's time to get up." I groaned in protest.

"My head hurts."

"Well, the coffee is waiting. Come on now, wash up, we're all having breakfast together." She gave me no choice as she ripped off the blanket and opened my blinds, partially blinding me.

"You're a cruel, cruel woman!" I heard her laugh as she exited my room. What kind of mother was she?

After washing up, grimacing at my face which had smudged makeup all over, I managed to look somewhat presentable for breakfast. Mind you, I was still in my pyjamas, and there was still a bird's nest perched on my head.

The delicious scent of coffee wafted from the kitchen into the hallways. I sighed in relief. Coffee is just what I need.

"The sleeping beauty finally awakens."

"No, I think she's more like the Beast." I scowled at Enzo, taking a seat beside Shane, across from an empty chair.

"Where's Julian?" As I uttered those words, Julian emerged from the hallway, wiping his mouth on the back of his hand.

Thankfully I was one of those people who didn't end up puking the alcohol they consumed the night before. I just got massive headaches.

"I need coffee." I state. Papa passes over a steaming cup. "Thank you," I sighed, taking a careful sip, wincing when I still managed to burn to the top of my mouth.

I filled my plate up high with a bagel and cut up fruit, digging in, shoving fruit into my mouth with my pointer finger and thumb.

"Yeah, you're right Enzo, she's definitely the Beast." I ignored my twin. "I mean, the Beast didn't even use utensils, and look, exhibit A," he pointed at me.

"Shut up." I said with a mouthful of bagel.

"And look, she's talking with her mouth full."

"Leave your sister alone," mama demanded, smacking Shane with a spatula and throwing a rag at Enzo. I smiled at her. "If your sister wants to eat like a caveman, let her eat like a caveman." My smile dropped, glaring at her. Everyone at the table started to crack up, but I simply ignored them, digging into my food again.

The haters will hate.

"Are you guys going to tell us why you all went out last night with such short notice?" They stopped laughing, looking away from our dad's prying eyes.

"Can it wait until after breakfast?" Julian asked quietly.

"Very well."

The rest of the meal was quiet, only a few words of exchanged uttered between James and my dad.