13. Stupid Hormones

Stupid Hormones

A groan escaped my lips as I slowly became conscious; into the world of the living. I turned to my right and saw Shane still asleep in bed—snoring wildly, might I add.

A sharp pain in my stomach caused me to lose focus, catching me off guard. I groaned, curling into a ball, waiting for the pain to pass.

Ah, the great old gift Mother Nature that decides to pass on once a month.

I knew I should have bolted to the bathroom, but another sharp stab coursed through, making me stop. "Keep quiet," Shane mumbled, rolling over to the other side.

Men; so lucky they don't have to experience this horrific crime scene every month.

Finally, I made my way out of bed, plopping down on the toilet. I huffed. Obviously, there were only two pads left. Leave it to me to wait till last minute to restock. I couldn't even go to mama's bathroom since she used tampons.

After finishing up my business, I headed back to bed, not mentally or physically stable to start the day just yet. Right on cue, another earthquake sounded within, making me want to curl up into a ball and cry yet again.

"Amelia?" I felt a hand nudge my arm, shaking me awake. I hummed.

"Papa's asking if you want breakfast."

"Yes please," I muttered, shoving my face deeper into the pillow.

"Not feeling well?" I heard sympathy in his voice, and just like that, I knew he knew. "Do you want me to get up, or do you still want to sleep?"

I turned onto my back, slowly sitting up, shaking my head. "I think I slept enough," I said, eyeing  the clock that read quarter to noon, though there never was such a thing as too much sleep; at least in my book.

"Alright," he nodded, scratching his bed hair as he hopped out of the bed. Inevitably, I had to get out of bed. Eventually, I managed to make it down the stairs. 

"You look like utter shit." I didn't have to look up to know who that was coming from.

"Shut the fuck up," I snapped at Shane as I rummaged through the fridge.

"Morning papa," I grunted, sitting down at the table when I noticed he was making food on the stove.

"Zucca," he replied, passing a plate a steaming hot plate of pancakes to me. It was times like these where I appreciated the fact that mama made sure everyone in the household knew how to cook—even if it was just the basics.

"Grazie. Where's mama?"

"She came home late, so still sleeping," he replied. "I'm going to take these up to her, need anything else?" I shook my head, then trying to shake his hand off my head as he ruffled my hair.

"Aren't you going to ask me if I need anything?"

"Nope," papa replied popping the 'p'. I smiled while Shane frowned. "I heard what you said to your sister." Shane sat back realizing, knowing better not to insult me in front of our papa.

"But she swore!" Papa closed one ear with the empty hand.

"I heard nothing!" He declined, walking out of the dining room. I laughed, cutting up a piece of pancake, shoving it in my mouth. These were good, but not Dylan-good.

After the small moment, or whatever else it was yesterday when I held his hand, we sat in a comfortable silence for a while. It wasn't until after a couple of minutes Dylan initiated another conversation that had me laughing until my stomach hurt. He dropped me off soon after, thankfully before Shane was home.