Exiled (Mark and Jack) (Part 2)

They paid the bill and took their food to go. Amy held the containers of still-warm contents, and Mark smuggled the small human. As they were on their way out, they spotted the chef going from table to table, asking nervously how everyone's meal was but also eyeing the floor. A simple glance between Amy and Mark was all they needed to understand: The chef was hunting for the human. He was the one who had hurt Jack.

They exited the building quickly and hurried on their way home. Mark sighed in relief as they put the restaurant behind them. "I'm sorry this all happened," he apologized, "I thought this was just going to be a simple eat-with-your-fiancé anniversary meal, I didn't expect to be rescuing something. And a human, of all things!"

"It's okay," Amy replied kindly, "And I don't mind. I'm just as shocked as you. But I'm proud of you, you made the right call." She kissed his cheek, making the blood rush in his face. He blushed and looked away humbly, deciding to check on their small hitchhiker.

Mark had hidden Jack in the pocket on his dress shirt, which was concealed behind the slanted walls of smooth black that made up the front of his suit. He carefully pulled it back and pushed the pocket lip open, peering inside. The poor human was curled up at the bottom, sound asleep. The cut had finally stopped bleeding, but just the thought of it made the giant queasy, so he concealed Jack once more and led the way home. They were just reaching the familiar block when the sky rumbled abovehead, reminding them to hurry to avoid the bad weather. And no sooner had they just managed to get through the door did the cloudy skies suddenly unleash the torrents of rain.

Locking the door, Mark could hear Amy shuffling away to place the leftovers in the fridge. He could see her now, in his mind's eye: the soft tap of her feet as she crossed the cool white floor, a rustle and clatter as she set her purse down on equally cold marble counters, and the powerful hum of the fridge as it gaped its silver maw to eagerly hold on their uneaten edibles for later consumption. He gazed distantly through the window: How sudden the weather had turned, from calm and airy to such a dark and moody tone, and yet there were still a few more hours before nightfall. He sighed and adjusted his suit's tucked collar, only to let it trail and slide down the lapel and rest over his warm pocket. The only movement he could detect aside from his own diaphragm's gentle pushes were the faint stirrings of Jack's own feathery breathing.

Poor thing... must have been so desperate, to risk a popular restaurant in the middle of LA like this. Mark sighed softly and let his hand drop to the buttoning. As he was just about to undo them, Amy came back in to the small foyer hall.

"Here, let me." He turned and kept still as she unhooked the buttoms and pushed the flaps away. He shrugged the sleeves off, but only his arms moved, and with careful velocity. Amy continued, taking off his tie and setting it down on his broad shelfy shoulder before she carefully reached into the pocket and pulled the unconscious form out by his waist.

Thunder rumbled ominously outside, and Jack frowned in his sleep as he stirred restlessly in Amy's grip with a soft whimper. "Here, let me." Mark held his huge hand out, and Amy carefully put the human down in the center of his palm; they traded, Mark with Jack and Amy with his suit and tie.

"I'll go wash this blood out." Amy pulled away and respectfully retreated. Lightning flashed outside, illuminating the shadowy house, and then there was a boom of thunder so great that the windows vibrated with excitement. Jack flinched against Mark's hand, and the giant could feel tiny tremors as the tiny creature feebly quivered at the loud sound.

"You poor thing." Mark cupped his hands gently together like a small cage to give the little guy a sense of security. His thumbs were left parted slightly, giving Jack plenty of space to breathe as he carried the human away from the front door. He retired to his bedroom, leaving the door closed, and sat on the immense mattress. He peeked at the small lifeform, both fascinated and concerned; on the one hand, even in his sleep Jack was reacting negatively to the loud noises-- probably from all of his time fearing and running from giants; but on the other hand... Mark never fathomed holding one of these astounding, sentient little people, and yet... here he was. He was holding one. And it wasn't even big enough to take up his whole hand.