Space Voy AU Meeting (Jack+Felix & Mark) (Part 1)

Bright light washed over Mark, and he squinted and covered his eyes until they adjusted. He let his hand slowly drop, and his eyes widened. All around him were green plants and trees, similar to the ones Mark had seen in the textbooks. The sky was a beautiful blue with white fluffy clouds hanging around, and the sun was big and bright. Everything felt out of proportion to Mark though. Since the planet seemed huge as he was burning through the atmosphere, Mark wasn't all that surprised when he realized that the world around him was massive and made him look like nothing but an ant.

As the engineer looked around, he noticed a couple of other things. The solar system he had fallen into was huge, and his tiny body was already starting to feel hot under the sun's large rays. Mark stepped under a tree for shade, and immediately he was already cooling off.

"Ok. Cool," Mark mumbled. The amount of oxygen in this world's atmosphere was a bit overwhelming, and Mark had to sit down on the tree roots and give himself some time to process.

The camera! Mark suddenly remembered the recorder, and he reached for the side of his head, praying it hadn't shattered. To his relief, the camera beeped in response as he turned it off, and he quickly turned it back on.

"Sorry, I was just making sure it was still working." Mark took a good look around again. "Somewhere along Section C Dimension 6 our ship was interfered by... well, I don't know... the captain mentioned something about a gravitational pull. Maybe he was talking about this planet. We were after all going into Section D Dimension 1, and nothing in Sector D has been explored yet." Mark took a few seconds to check on his foot, which had stopped bleeding. It still hurt like hell, but Mark was satisfied. He could make do.

"I'm initiating Protocol 37, Section 15, number 4 of the Galactic Guidebook." Mark turned on a holographic screen and let it zoom back to show his face. When he saw his reflection, he was almost alarmed; he wasn't looking too good. He cleared his throat and continued. "Please, if anyone gets this feed in time, please come help us," he begged. "I don't know if my friends are alive or not yet, or if the captain survived. Hell, I don't even know where the Aurora crashed, but I'm sending Earth my last known coordinates, so whatever scientist is going to analyze my data, please... help us." Mark was about to go on a whole speech about how dire it would be to help, when something suddenly rustled in the grass.

Mark froze and looked, but nothing was there. He was wary though, so he quickly sent the coordinates and put the camera back on first person.

"Who's there?" The stranded engineer reached slowly for his knife as he made his way down. The grass reached up to Mark's chest, which unsettled him as he realized that all of this beautiful greenery was the perfect cover for hunting predators. He held his knife at the ready as he looked around and slowly walked backwards to the escape ship.

"Karen," he called out. "What are the defense systems able to do?"

"Defense systems are offline," Karen answered cheerfully.

"Oh come on!" Mark yelled. Before he could sass the artificial intelligence, something black and green threw itself out of the bushes and launched at him with a screech. Mark hollered in surprise and dodged, and he turned around to see what was attacking him.

It wasn't there.

Confusion spun in Mark's mind when the creature blindsided him, and Mark screamed in pain as sharp teeth embedded in his arm. He stabbed the creature and managed to kick it off of him, and the monster hissed and growled as it jumped onto his ship.

The creature looked like a lizard, only it was the size of an alligator. It had weird green warts over it, and its mouth had sharp yellow teeth and white foam.

"What the hell is this thing!?" Mark shouted.

"Scanning." As the lizard tackled Mark again and fought with him, Karen continued speaking. "Scan complete. DNA shows similar matches with the komodo dragon's ancestors. Detecting traces of an unknown bacterium. Continuing to monitor-r-re-r-rr— Error, power critical, system shutting do-w-ow-wn..."

"Yeah you do that," Mark grunted. He flung the lizard off and ran toward the ship, but teeth grabbed his fractured leg, and he faceplanted. With a cry, Mark tried to grab onto the dirt and roots as he was dragged back, but a heavy crushing weight pinned him to the ground. Claws dug into his back, growing wet with foamy spittle as the monstrous reptile growled in his ear. Mark squirmed desperately with some screaming that couldn't be helped, but he couldn't roll the creature off his back no matter how hard he tried.

"Come oooon!!!" He wailed desperately, "Not like this!!!" But then, before the creature could take a bite out of his shoulder blade, a shadow sprang from the ferns and tackled the lizard. It roared as the scaled predator hissed and writhed against the new hunter; it was a feline, having been attracted to the scene by Mark's catterwauling. Mark rolled over and shuddered as its large haunches were the only thing he could see, a large feather-tipped tail whipping through the air as it grappled the lizard. Its mane of feathers rippled in dappling sunlight and matched the blood that went flying.

And then the fight was over. Mark stared in horror as the cat dropped the dead body and turned to look at him. The feathering on its legs and withers bristled as harsh yellow eyes met his gaze. He sucked in a horrified gasp and kicked against the soil, backing up a few inches and panicking even more as the wild animal paced toward him. Its tail slid carelessly over still scales, and it strolled over to Mark when his arm gave out; he found himself on his back and staring up at the deadly face of the alien. Pernicious fangs poked out from its muzzle, which scrunched up as it let out a long hiss and sniffed. Mark sat frozen, waiting, expecting the monsterous quadruped to tear into his chest and end his life. He could see his own dirty reflection in the pupils of the cat. How pathetic he looked.

And then the cat turned away. Smooth feathers slapped Mark's cheek, making him jump as the huge beast paced over to the dead lizard, hooked its teeth into its scaly skin, and then started dragging the kill away. Mark watched it go, and it was only when its tail vanished through the tall stalks of grass that the engineer remembered how to breathe.

He let out a shaky exhale and went limp, woozy with relief. He almost forgot about his arm until he tried to move again, but he groaned and turned his head to see the gaping wound. He was almost sick. It looked nasty. He did heave but looked away, his eyes squeezed shut as he groaned again.

"Kar... Karen...?" He mumbled hoarsely. "Karen...! Urgh..." Mark realized he was getting lightheaded. I need to... get up... get up, come on... Struggling to his feet, he staggered back into the metal pod and collapsed on the cool floor. He crawled over to the first aide container and pushed it open with his good arm; he rummaged around blindly before managing to haul out some useful supplies.

Damnit, where's the antiseptic? Mark wondered groggily. He fished around before finally grabbing the bottle, and he set to work on doctoring the bitemark.

This is gonna sting.