Blind Spot (Jack and Mark) (Part 2)

The first few minutes, Mark had a hard time adjusting. He kept sliding and losing his balance with every step, smacking into his acquaintance's jugular, so Jack ended up moving him on to his head. It was higher up, but Mark could actually grip something without falling. Plus, the majority of the giant's escaped body heat kept Mark warm as the wind blew chilly air, and the messy hair gave Mark a cozy cushioning that made him feel a little better and more secure.

Eventually, he started to cope. He swayed with each thud and kept in rhythm, allowing his body to become one with the giant's motions. The hair on the back of his neck was still standing, however, because he felt like he was on a boat in the middle of an ocean. And that made Mark feel even more helpless as he shuddered and distracted himself with a tuft of soft, unkempt hair. Jack was a big help, though. As he walked, he chattered merrily, making small talk and describing the forest, or even making bad jokes. It made Mark feel a lot better, and it made the time go by until he felt a drop of rain splash on his forehead. He jumped and covered his head, and Jack stopped at the sudden movement.

"What's wrong?" Thr giant asked impetuously, sounding worried.

"I-I just felt water." Mark felt another drop hit him as it began to rain.

"Ah, shite." Jack looked around for shelter and made his way to a large, sturdy tree. The clouds rumbled darkly as the heavens opened up, and it began to pour on the two travelers. Jack wrinkled his nose and put his hand over his head, doing his best to shield Mark as he crouched under the tree and leaned against it. It creaked under his weight, but it was big enough to block the squall. Mark shivered. It's so cold.

Jack shuddered and shook his shoulders, hugging his knees to keep warm. "This is a bad storm," he grumbled. Mark nodded.

"It sounds so angry," he agreed nervously. Thunder boomed in the distance, making Mark flinch.

"Here." Jack wrapped his fingers around Mark and gently picked him up. "I'm sorry," he apologized as he held Mark to his chest, protecting the human with his body, "I should have known when the storm would hit."

"It's ok." Mark wrapped his arms around the giant's fingers. They were cold and wet from trying to cover him, but the droplets were already warming up from the heat that pulsed from the thick skin. Mark found himself running his hands along the ridges in one of these large tree-trunk sized fingers, listening to the storm howl around them as the rain came down harder. When the thunder roared and shook the earth, Mark flinched, and Jack shifted his grip to cover the human from the deluge.

"You all right?" He asked. Mark shivered and nodded.

"Y-yeah." He didn't want Jack to worry about him, though, so he suddenly asked, "Can you... can you describe yourself to me?"

"Describe myself?" Jack said in a puzzled tone. "What for?"

"Because... well, you know." He gestured at his eyes.

"Oh!" Jack tilted his hand so that Mark could sit in his palm and still hug one of his fingers. "Well," he started as Mark settled down with his thumb in his arms, "I'm Irish, in case ye couldn't tell." A light chuckle escaped Mark's lips.

"Never would have guessed." Jack laughed.

"Yeah, and I'm pretty boisterous! I, uh, have brown hair, um, I'm pretty fucking pale, and, uh, I've got blue eyes, a pretty manly goatee..." Jack contently described himself and his outfit as the storm raged on. His voice actually helped Mark block out the thunderstorm, which he appreciated. "Basically, I'm like a human, I suppose, only... well, ya know. Gargantuan," he finished. Mark nodded, trying to picture what the giant looked like.