Snowstorm (Jack and Mark) (Part 2)

"Are you ok, Mark?" Amy suddenly asked. Mark snapped out of his trance and looked around.

"Huh?" He was in the living room, playing a game with his beloved girlfriend- except his character had the Game Over screen now.

"You kind of just stared off into space." Amy nodded at the screen. "That's the first time I have ever beat you at this." A hot flash of embarrassment overwhelmed Mark.

"Oh. I'm sorry..." He rubbed his eyes and yawned. "I didn't get much sleep last night." Amy put her controller down.

"You haven't been sleeping well ever since the climbing trip. Is everything ok?" Mark looked at her. He hadn't told the others about Jack, not entirely at least. The best excuse he had come up with was that Jack did saved his life, but was very shy and not much of a socializer. But he never told them that the Irishman was a giant. And ever since that expedition, Mark couldn't stop thinking about him. They hadn't parted on the best of terms. He kept wondering what he could have done to help Jack, what he could have done to make things better. He was just so lonely... the poor guy...

"Mark?" Mark blinked and realized he was doing it again. He blushed.

"I'm so sorry." He pushed his bangs out of his eyes. "Do you really want to know? I don't know if you'd believe me..." Amy put her hand on Mark's knee and smiled.

"Try me." So Mark told her. He told her how Jack saved his life, not once but twice, and then he explained who he was. Amy listened; at first her eyes had grown wide, but now she was frowning. "Poor thing," she murmured when Mark was done. "He must be pretty lonely out there in the mountains, all by himself." Mark nodded.

"I'm sorry I didn't say anything sooner, but it didn't feel right to say something like that out in the open." Amy nodded and squeezed his hand.

"It's ok. I understand." Mark sighed and closed his eyes, tired. "How about you go get some rest?" Amy advised. Mark looked at the tv.

"What about you?" Amy kissed his cheek.

"I need to get some groceries anyway. You just go on and sleep. You need it." Mark hummed tiredly, agreeing.

"All right." He watched Amy get up and leave to grab her things. "Be careful," he told her as she walked past.

"I will." Mark watched her go, and then he got up and put the game up. He then changed the channel to the news, sat back on the couch and closed his eyes. With a yawn, he let his mind drift as the tv droned on. He thought about the mountain trip again. He couldn't get his mind off it, all he could think about was how sad Jack was. What could I have done to help him? He asked himself. I couldn't have, could I? He lives there, and I live here, in Los Angeles. There's no way I could have helped him... right?

"Today is actually going to be a Christmas miracle!" The news reporter laughed. "It's going to be a little cooler today, with some rain all afternoon. In fact, I think it's raining right now." Mark opened his eyes and looked at the window. Sure enough, it was starting to drizzle. Rain in LA, huh? Mark smiled a little. I'll take it. He let his cheek rest on the arm rest and closed his eyes again.

"Thanks Amelia. Today is definitely an interesting day. This morning there was an explosion at the Tech Corp." Mark opened one eye. Then both shot wide open. "Quite a few buildings were devastated, but people are working to save lives as we speak." In one of the buildings that they were showing, there was a large hand-shaped depression. Mark stared at it. ... That's not normal. That's a handprint! And the Tech Corp is here in Los Angeles! He got up and grabbed his hoodie and pulled the hood over his head. He ran to the garage and saw that Amy had taken the car. Damn it. He went back out and locked the door, ducked his head and started running on the sidewalks.