A Thief's Remorse (Mark & Jack) (Part 1?)

The bitter cold air stung in Jack's lungs as he took a breath. The condensation was whipped away from his lips by the chilling breeze as he stared up at what was perhaps- no, definitely, definitely the biggest structure he had laid eyes on. It defied logic. But then again, so did climbing a beanstalk that arched so high it could reach a mythical land in the clouds.

Just yesterday, he'd heard the story. A strange old man had given him weird glowing beans, claiming that they would give him the riches that he and his farm so desperately needed. His family, however, were skeptical, and frustratedly he had tossed them away. But now, here he was, panting in such cold humid air with success from his ridiculous climb. But now who was ridiculous? The old man had been right!

Jack crouched to catch his breath, and when he put his hands down the misty whisps of the cloud billowed around the ends of his limbs like fog. Yet somehow, the surface underneath was soft and yet prickly like grass. He waved away the fog and found that, indeed, the top of the clouds were of the healthiest stalks. Everything in this new world was bewildering; the stars he could see so clearly, and the full moon grinned upon every surface available, making all in its sight glow with a ghostly gleam.

The Irishman rose and turned back to the beanstalk. Though the climb had ended here, it still halted above his head. The leafy stalks twisted and turned, conjoined together to have been strong enough for a scrawny young man like himself. But he didn't dare peek below: it had taken a great deal of will and determination just to make the climb up.

Jack shuddered and looked away, instead fixing his gaze on the massive structure that, despite how far away, took up a great deal of his vision. That had to be where the legendary riches were! His hopes rose, and spurred on by newfound energy he began walking. The closer he came, the bigger it continued to get, and he could note that the building- a castle or mansion, perhaps both- was very old but in magnificent shape. No dust covered a single brick, yet the greenery surrounding it was wild and coiled up the sides with a cold embrace that sought shelter and dependency. The stairs leading up to the grand door were definitely old, but clearly no expenses were spared: this castle was definitely royal.

Jack's fascinated eyes drank in as many details as possible as the castle towered impossibly over him. It was so huge that he had to crane his neck in every which direction just to glimpse the end of each frame. "Whooaa," he breathed. Whoever lived here must have been really rich! The untold fortunes that lay in this abandoned castle were surely enough to save the farm. His mind buzzed with excitement as he made the climb up the giant stairs. Still tired from his previous climb though, getting up the massive slabs proved quite a struggle-- but he was too excited still to find an easier way up, nevermind that these steps weren't for his size. But when he finally hauled his petite frame over the last edge, he caught his breath once more and then approached the huge door.

"Neat gate!" Jack murmured aloud with a grin, "A little too showy for me, of course, but man! Someone had pretty expensive tastes!" He spied his way in through the narrow crack under the door, which fortunately was just big enough for him to fit through. Seeing as he couldn't find the normal way in, he took his entrance and squeezed inside. Once he was in, his jaw simply dropped. Inside it was a little dark, but when his eyes adjusted to the spooky moonlight he was blessed with a wonderful sight: the title of wealth was apparent everywhere. He was in a small hallway that led to a lounging room, where two divine sofas and an armchair of exquisite craftsmanship all centered around a well-kept fireplace, which was massive even if it was more Jack's size. A long fine rug cushioned guests from the hard brown floor, which trailed off to more furniture and rooms of equal beauty. Directly connected was an actual living room instead of a foyer area, where a lovely staircase sat cold and empty. Blown away, Jack followed through the anatomy of the castle-y home and happened upon a brilliant kitchen, a study room, a beverage area, and so many more places; and all seeming like skyscrapers to Jack.