Pocket Pal (Mark and Jack)

A/N This is just a blurb thing because I've been so fucking busy this week, sorry, but at least I got to write this little thing😜

Jack had never been so cold in all his life. California was usually a warm and dry place to call home, but of course the one day that the Irish borrower had to emigrate, the storm of ice and wind that was on the news was now boring down on Los Angeles. So while the humans were smart and staying indoors, Jack was outside, fighting to stay balanced as he faced the wind.

There were still many cars, and the occasional person bundled up in multiple layers, but otherwise the streets were wide open. But the lack of people and shelter was starting to piss him off. He finally stopped behind a trash can to take a break from the wind. "Th-the next p-p-person I s-see," he muttered to himself, "I'm hitching a-a ride!" He was sick of the cold. He was sick of not feeling his hands and feet, and he had about enough of this god-forsaken wind. It made the city too lifeless, too cold. Goddamn wind. He huddled miserably and tried to breathe warmth back into his hands.

Then he heard crunching footsteps. He looked up and saw a young man wrapped in jackets and a scarf. Should I? He wondered. He was only joking when he said what he did, but... He got up and folded his arms to retain body heat. He wouldn't notice if I just hop on. But it's risky... But what choice did the tiny have? He shook his head and took a deep breath, only to cough. The air was so cold. I don't have any other options. I gotta do it. He braced himself as the man came closer, and then to his surprise something tumbled out of his jacket.

"Oops." The man stopped and reached down for his phone. "Shit," he cursed, "Did it crack?" He turned it over and checked the screen. Now's my chance! Jack took off. He ran and jumped onto the man's shoe, and he grabbed the laces as the human shoved his phone back in his pocket and continued walking. Just a few steps in, and Jack already felt sick. I gotta get higher. He looked up the man's leg and sighed. As his foot came down, Jack jumped and grabbed onto his pantleg, about half way up his shin.

Jack exhaled and climbed up, trying to not think about how dangerous his situation was. But at least the man had a lot of layers on; he couldn't feel the borrower scaling his person, and Jack could feel the human's body heat. He sighed nervously and pulled himself up, tipping into the jeans pocket and pushing his cold tiny body inside. Heat washed over the frozen borrower. He gasped. It's so warm! Peace enveloped him. He relaxed and worked his way to the bottom of the pocket. It was a tight fit, but Jack was ok with it. For now.

He looked around at the items he was accompanied by. The phone was one thing. There were also keys, which Jack reminded himself to be careful around; he didn't want to cut himself. There was a candy wrapper, and a small pen. When Jack pushed the top of the pen down, it suddenly shined a bright light at the end, making him jump. Ok, pen and flashlight, Jack told himself. Great. He looked around some more and pushed a button on the phone. It lit up, blinding the borrower again. He cursed and let his eyes adjust, and then saw a picture of the man hugging a dog. He smiled.

"Aww." He swiped his hand across the screen, and he was brought to the main menu. Technology was so amazing. It was Jack's one weakness to humans- well, that and food. But tech like this was just so... fascinating. How could a tiny rectangle hold someone's life story? How could a black box let people watch riveting stories from other places in the world? Jack studied the screen and noticed a red square with a white triangle. It was as big as his hand; pressed it. It opened up on to a white page labelled "YouTube" and had more smaller screens on it.

"Interesting," Jack murmured. He had almost completely forgotten about the human now. He pressed the little white magnifying glass icon, and a keyboard came up. Now he was captivated. He pushed some of the buttons, and then touched the enter key. More "videos" popped up, and Jack had a child's grin on. He touched the top one, and then when it loaded, the picture came up, and soft piano music began to play. Jack hummed and nodded his head to the sweet keys. He closed his eyes and smiled; the notes became colourful swirls in the darkness of his mind, illuminating it and playing the gentle melody. His head drooped; he slumped against the pocket wall, and before he could realize the danger, his conscience drifted from his body.

Mark was hoping he wasn't too late as he walked up to the front door. He told Amy he was only going to be out for half an hour; it had been almost an hour. She's probably worried sick. He dug through his pockets, searching for his keys, when he suddenly realized two things: His phone was on. He took it out and looked at it. It was playing piano music accompanied by rain sounds, for some reason. Mark frowned.

"The hell?" But there was something else. Something else that his mind couldn't dismiss. Again, he reached into his pocket. There it was. There was something small and warm inside. It felt heavier than its size, but it also felt fragile. Mark carefully pulled it out and held his hand out flat, taking a look. His heart jumped in his breast, and he stood there staring dumbly. Curled in the center of his palm lay a tiny person.

"Whoa." He stared for a few seconds, and then he slowly touched the borrower. Jack frowned in his sleep and shifted, turning over and nuzzling Mark's hand. Who are you? Mark asked in his mind. He realized the tiny was shivering and looked around. Then he took out his keys, unlocked the door and hurried inside.

"Mark!" Amy jumped from the couch as a Labrador ran up to Mark. Mark grinned and crouched down, giving her a pet. Then he stood and met the blonde woman in an amorous hug. "What happened?" Amy worried, "Where were you?"

"I got lost," Mark admitted, putting on a guilty smile. Amy laughed nervously, hugging him tightly.

"I'm just glad you're ok. I was worried, the storm..." Her voice trailed. Mark kissed her head.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to worry you." Amy sighed.

"Just sit down. I'll make you something warm." She sat him down and hurried off to the kitchen. She never even stopped to see what Mark held in his hand. Mark sighed and looked down at Jack. He sighed again; the tiny was still asleep. He set Jack down on a blanket, and then he worked on taking off his extra layers as Amy returned with a mug in her hands.

"Here." She passed it to Mark.

"Thank you." He blew the steam and took a sip. It was perfect. He sighed pleasantly and drank some more, while Amy brushed his messy bangs out of his face.

"You need a shower," she remarked humorously. Mark scowled playfully and continued drinking. She kissed his forehead. "Chica sure missed you." Mark looked down. The sweet Labrador sat at his feet, wagging her tail and giving him a toothy smile. He smiled back and rubbed her ears fondly.

"It's nice to know somebody missed me," he chuckled. Amy booped him on the nose, and they both laughed.

"I'll take care of these for you." She stooped down and collected his discarded winter clothes.

"Oh, no you don't have to!" He tried to protest. "I can-" but Amy waved her hand and carried them off. Mark sighed and beamed at her retreating back. "Love you!" He yelled.

"Everyone does," came her playful reply. Mark giggled and looked at his hot cocoa. He sipped some, and then his eyes wandered to little Jack. The borrower had unceremoniously bundled up in the blanket, and he was splayed awkwardly in the folds. Mark smothered a giggle and lowered his mug. Aww. He's cute, wherever he came from. He looked around for his phone and pushed it closer to the borrower. The melody was still quietly playing, and that seemed to make Jack relax even more. Mark smiled. Hopefully, when he wakes up, I can talk to him. Maybe find out what he was doing in my pocket. His smile got bigger as he thought of something cute. He's my pocket pal now, how cute! He shook his head at his bad sense of humor and let his smile eventually drop. But seriously... Where did you come from, little guy? 

There were questions he needed to be answered...

Mark sighed. He shouldn't let himself get carried away. The tiny was bundled up in a cloth jacket, and had made a visible effort to try and prepare for the cold week. So maybe he got into my pocket because he was cold. Mark drank his cocoa. Maybe he didn't have anywhere else to go? I'm huge compared to him, he's infinitesimal, so he probably wouldn't have come anywhere near me unless he had no other choice. Or maybe I'm just flattering myself. Mark sighed and slouched. He'd have to wait until Jack woke up, before his curiosity could be sated.