Spiders and Borrowers (Mat and Nate+Mark) (Part 2)

Nate looked from bottle to bottle, dismayed. His head was spinning; there were so many. Acetaminophen, he reminded himself. You're looking for acetaminophen, and cough medicine. He started his task and peered at the labels. Nope. No. No not that one. No. Nate groaned under his breath. Why are there so many? I just need one!

His frustration came to a screeching halt when he heard someone walk into the kitchen. Damnit! Nate hid behind one of the bottles and waited for the person to walk by. Just keep walking Stephanie, Nate wished desperately. Just keep going, there's nothing to see here!

"Huh?" Nate felt his chest clench with fear as Stephanie stopped and turned. He watched from the shadows to see that she had found his hook, and now she was taking it! "Mat?" She called out. Oh no! Nate's jaw dropped and he silently gasped in horror as Stephanie walked off to find Mat. No, no, no! This is bad! This is really, really bad! If Mat finds me- Nate stopped himself and peered through the glass. The pantry door was closed, meaning Mark was safe. Of course.

I've got time, I've got a chance, Nate told himself. He looked around and tried to decide what to do. He didn't have much time, but he had enough to make a choice. Should he try and make a break for it? He was stranded up here without his tackle, so if he tried going down he risked breaking multiple bones. But if he stayed in the cabinet, he risked getting found by Mat.

I''m just gonna have to make do and hide the best I can. Nate ran to the bottle farthest back from the doors and tried to open it. It was as big as him, so he had to twist until his arms ached and shook with effort before he finally got it open. He held the cap up and climbed in the bottle. Come on, come on! Nate's shallow pants echoed against the plastic walls as he heard footsteps re enter the kitchen. It was a tight squeeze, but he managed to press down and put the lid over him. As he wiggled to get comfortable on top of the hard pills that made up the half empty bottle, he heard the cabinet door open and froze.

Mat walked into the kitchen expecting something out of the ordinary, but everything looked normal. "Hmm." He hummed and looked around. He noticed the cabinet that the string had come from, and he also noticed that it was slightly open. He frowned and went over to it. When he opened the cabinet, nothing was out of place.

I wonder what it is? Mat thought to himself as he looked around in the cabinet. It's apparently smart enough to climb with a hook and string, and it's been using those tunnels for who knows how long... I think. He stuck his hand in and moved the pill bottles around. There wasn't anything behind them, but when his hand bumped into one of the bottles in the back, it fell over. The lid rolled off as the pills spilled out, scattering across the shelf.

"Dang it!" Mat exclaimed. What a mess! He reached in and sweeped the pills up in a small pile, but he stopped and widened his eyes. Something else had fallen out too! It was small and dark, but as Mat looked it was moving. It was tiny person; he was pale and wearing dark clothes with dark hair and black square glasses. He looked like he was in shock though. Mat frowned before he reached in to grab the tiny man.

When Nate's hiding place fell over, he grunted as he came tumbling out with the pills. He hit his head and rolled to a stop face down, and he groaned into the shelf. Ow. Nate was dazed and confused for a few seconds and tried to sit up. He was addled and couldn't think to run away as he pushed himself up off the wood. He swayed and hung his head with another groan, trying to clear his thoughts.