Misplaced (Jack and Mark) (Part 2)

By midday Jack was starving, so he wandered into the kitchen wondering what to eat. As he went through the refrigerator and pantry, he decided to settle for eggs benedict. As he gathered the ingredients he reached for the seasonings cupboard, only to find his hand hitting the door shut.

"Huh?" Jack looked and saw that there was a string tethered to the handle. He frowned and peered, leaning closer. What is that? He saw the hook and carefully took it off, and then he examined it. Weird... He opened the cabinet and grabbed the salt, but his hand knocked it over, and the lid popped off.

"Ahh shit!" Jack exclaimed. He cursed and tried to salvage the spilled salt. "What the hell!" What he deemed clean was put in a Ziploc bag, but what fell on the floor he had to sweep up.

"Dang it," Jack muttered. "Why the hell did that happen?" He cleaned up and looked at the hook and string again. He looked at it closely, taking a deep breath, and then his eyes suddenly widened, and he sharply inhaled. Wait a minute... Jack scanned the floor. Is there a borrower in my house!?

Mark yawned and rubbed his eyes. He knew it wasn't a good idea to sleep when Jack was awake and stomping around, especially when he was on the dude's head, but he didn't have much of a choice. His fear and adrenaline had drained his energy, and his body needed to heal and preserve the few calories he had left. Mark had tied a string or two of hair around his waist so he wouldn't go flying if Jack did anything crazy, but he really wanted to get off of this crazy ride more than ever.

He woke up to Jack cursing, which was normal. At first Mark wanted to go back to sleep. It was actually very comfortable, while Jack's hair was wild and disheveled, it was actually soft and comfy to lay in. Plus he needed to wait until Jack was asleep again to get off, that was his best chance of survival. But as he wriggled his shoulders and closed his eyes again, gravity altered. Mark's eyes flew open as he was tossed and flipped over on his stomach. His lungs burst with effort to not make any noise, and then gravity soon went back to normal.

What the hell? Mark sat up and parted one of the long fluffy tufts to see that Jack was cleaning something up in the kitchen. Oh. He yawned and let his shoulders loll, still sore and exhausted. I wonder what he spilled this time... he lay back down and tried to go back to sleep, but then a thought hit him. His eyes popped open, and his mouth dropped open in a silent gasp.

My hook! Mark peeked out again and craned his neck to see Jack now holding something and looking at it. Damn it! Mark almost beat his fist in frustration before remembering that he was on a living surface. Now he knows I'm here, I'll have to move!

"Holy fuck..." Jack suddenly murmured. Mark couldn't see his expression right now, but when Jack turned and started walking he fell backward into the sea of green hair. Jack sat on the couch and looked at the tackle Mark had left, his mind spinning with astonishment.

"I can't believe it!" Jack murmured out loud. "There's a borrower living here? How did I not notice this sooner!" Those words stopped Mark's heart. He knows about borrowers!? Mark was confused and afraid, most of all shell-shocked. But my mom told me humans didn't know about us! Mark ran through memory lane and immediately wanted to groan. She said things like borrowers were too good to be seen and that the housefolk we lived with didn't know about us, but that was back when I was a kid. Probably just to comfort me at night... but I don't think she ever clarified that humans actually knew about us. Mark wanted to slap himself for being such an idiot. Humans knew the signs! He had only been lucky with Jack... until now.