Emergency Room (Mark and Amy) (Part 1?)

Amy was sleeping when a loud crash jolted her awake. Eyes wide, she gripped her covers and sat up, listening. What's going on? She wondered. Normally the owner of the house she lived in, Mark, was only loud when he was recording videos. Sometimes he was a klutz though, so Amy laid down and tried to go back to sleep. But the silence ticked by, each second dragging like an hour. She finally threw the covers off and got up with a sigh. The silence was insufferable! I suppose I'll have to go see what he's up to then.

She traveled light and brought only her hook with her in case she needed to climb. Amy left her borrower home and stepped out into the light. The kitchen was bright and basking in the sunshine of midday, a time when Amy was suppose to be hiding. She kept to the shadows and explored the house, looking around for the source of the crash, or Mark. But she couldn't find him. That's weird. Amy frowned. Normally humans were big and loud enough to hear from any part of the house. Their giant stomping feet were a main indicator, not to mention that Mark had a good pair of lungs and could shout if he really wanted to.

What if he's being robbed? The question made Amy halt in her tracks and hesitate. No. She shook her head and made her way to Mark's room. I would have heard someone else. But what..? She stopped at the doorway and gasped. Mark was lying on the floor, on his side, unconscious. His lamp had been knocked over and shattered on the floor, and the end table was knocked over. Amy dropped her hook and ran up to the human. Her skin prickled with unease at being so close to the giant man, but he didn't look ok. He looked... sick.

She slowed to a walk and approached carefully. Air whooshed in Mark's giant lungs as he wheezed erratically. His eyes were closed, and Amy noticed his arm was bleeding with some cuts from falling on top of the broken lamp. What happened!? Distressed, Amy walked up to Mark's chest and listened. His breathing was not normal, and his stomach was gurgling uncomfortably, as if he ate something bad. Poison? Amy wondered. She ran to his waist and climbed up his shirt. He needs the hospital! Where's his phone? She ducked into his pocket and shifted through Mark's keys and wallet. There it is!

Amy had to use her whole hand to double tap the screen and swipe it on. She looked frantically for the call button and pressed it, and she pushed 9-1-1. She waited anxiously as the phone rang, each buzz setting her hairs on end. Then it suddenly hit her. I have to talk to a human! She bit her lip. It was too late to back down now. Mark needed her help, or he was going to die; the line finally picked up.

"911, what's your emergency?" A woman asked. Amy took a quick breath and spoke as loudly as she could into the speaker.

"Hello, yes! Um, I-I was just getting the groceries when I noticed my neighbor, um, he's passed out, and I think he needs a hospital!" She stammered. "I don't know what's wrong with him."

"Ok, just sit tight." The woman spoke to someone off the phone for a few seconds, and then she turned back to Amy. "Can you give us an address please?" She asked.

"S-sure." As quickly as she could Amy told them the street name, and the woman informed the other person.

"Ok, they're on their way honey, just sit tight," the woman coaxed. "Can you by any chance get the door unlocked?"

"N-no." Amy shuddered as she realized she had to go and hide before the ambulance came. "Look, I-I gotta go take care of these groceries, all right?" She lied. "I just hope he'll be ok!"

"He'll be in good hands dearie," the woman promised. "Thank you for calling." Amy nodded and slammed her hand on the end call button. Whew. She sighed and slumped against the fabric wall. Now I gotta go back. She climbed out of Mark's pocket and checked his breathing. It was still a lot shallower than she would have liked, but at least he was still alive.

Amy grabbed her hook and ran back to the kitchen. Why did I do that? She wondered. He's a human, he could have hurt me. What has he ever done for me? As soon as she thought it, guilt crept over her. No, that's not the right kind of thinking. She shook her head and slipped through the small crack in the wall. I don't know what he would do if he ever found me, but that doesn't mean I should be cold hearted. She walked back into her bedroom and sat on her bed. Besides, she added to herself. I've seen how he is. I've lived under this roof long enough to know he's actually very kind. As she sat there, she soon heard the loud wailing of the ambulance's siren. They're here! She let herself relax as people got into the house and rushed into Mark's room. He's gonna be ok now.

"Bottom line is, you can't drink alcohol," the nurse finished. "Your body just cannot tolerate it, you're as good as allergic to it." Mark closed his eyes and sighed uneasily.

"God, I wish I'd have known," he croaked. "Thank you for getting me here in time."

"You should thank your neighbor, she called the emergency." The nurse smiled at Mark and took his bowl. "More soup? Your mother is quite the cook, it smells delicious." Mark smiled a little, in pain, and shook his head.

"No thank you," he murmured.

"I'll get it to a refrigerator then, now you just rest up." Mark heard the nurse leave and sighed, exhausted. He felt light-headed and still had abdominal pain, but he already felt better. Damnit. He opened his eyes and looked out the window. It's a good thing I rarely drink. He smiled a little. Alcohol intolerance isn't so bad. I can definitely live without it. He closed his eyes and sighed, relaxing in the cold bedsheets. I should go and thank my neighbors as soon as I get home. I need to let my fans know I'm ok too, I hope they won't be too cross with me that I couldn't upload any videos...

When Mark finally made it home, he allowed his body to rest before he uploaded an update video, and then he went and talked to the neighbors. But to his confusion, their first remarks were questions of shock asking if he was ok, and asking him what had happened. Bewildered, Mark could only assure them that he was ok, but he went home with his head spinning in confusion. He had a mystery on his hands.

 If his neighbors didn't call the emergency... then who did?