Exiled (Mark and Jack) (Part 4)

Mark had admittedly paced for the first five minutes after they left Jack to his own devices, until Amy chided him into sitting down. After that, they'd settled with watching tv despite the late hour, with the volume on low as possible in case anything came up. Mark really did try to focus on the television, but while his arms were crossed his fingers kept tapping away at his biceps, and his thoughts still latched onto Jack. Was he okay? Did he have enough to eat? What if he fell, got hurt, or couldn't move? What if he needed help? What if—?

"I'm sure he's fine, Mark," Amy suddenly reassured, cutting into her partner's train of thought. He blinked and looked over to her, to which she gave a light grin. "You were making that frowny-pouty face again," she explained with a note of humour. Mark sighed and rubbed the side of his cheek.

"I'm sorry. I know you're right, what you said about treating him like a person instead of some... Alien animal, but I just can't help but worry," he confessed, "The whole world is built to be set against humans, and despite everything he has survived— but if something happened then it would be our fault, under our roof. And if he... I..." He sighed and shook his head. "I wouldn't be able to forgive myself." Amy placed an understanding hand on his broad shoulder.

"I know, I know... But we can't help him unless he wants to be helped." Mark let out another exhale and bowed his head. She was right— again. Her level of understanding was something to be desired, but it truly made her a great doctor; and an amazing fiancé he was immensely grateful to be with. But he couldn't deny this strong, overwhelming desire to just... Protect. To keep all harm from ever reaching the human ever again, despite hardly even knowing him for that long, let alone even knowing he still existed before today. But it made Mark's fingers curl just to imagine that frail weight back in his hands again: how reckless he had been at first, when only curiosity and bewilderment had guided his hands, but knowing what he did now he wanted to try again, to make up for the fear he had no doubt he had caused... And maybe even befriend him, if Jack would let him.

Amy put her hand up to Mark's cheek, and he unhesitatingly closed his eyes and leaned into the touch. She smiled softly. "You have a big heart," she reassured, "And it's in the right place, I know it is." Mark let out a small hum in appreciation as she gave his temple a simple but heartwarming peck, but when he opened his mouth to reply, the lights suddenly flickered and died— along with the tv.

"Shit." Mark moved to the nearest window and peered behind the curtain, frowning at the storm outside. "We really did make it home just in time. The rain's so slanted it's almost sideways—" then his eyes widened, and he looked back at Amy with rounded eyes. "I should check on him," he murmured over the gusting wind. Amy only glanced back at the couch, then grabbed his phone from the coffee table and handed it over.

"Make sure you don't trip on anything. I'll get the blankets." Mark blinked at her gratefully once more, and he shook the flashlight on his mobile awake and moved for his bedroom. But as soon as he entered the hallway, lightning flashed and thunder rumbled, halting him in his step. He looked down at his own shadow, then resumed walking at a slower pace, watching where he stepped just in case.

Once he made it to his door, he hesitated before giving it a gentle knock. "Uhh, h-hey, are you okay in there?" He did his best to strain his ears for an answer, but heard no noise that could signify some kind of response. "I'm coming in," he warned before quietly turning the handle, and he slowly pushed the door open to step inside.

Given his cautious scanning around the room, it didn't take long despite the lack of lighting before his gaze fell upon Jack, beside the plate of partially nibbled food. For a brief moment, his heart jolted in alarm to see the human laying down unresponsive, but then logic seized control once more, and he let out a relieved exhale. Jack was asleep again, Mark recognized that slightly curled up position. He breathed another sigh and knelt down, peering at the scrawny human to make sure he was alright. His arm still looked securely wrapped, the bottlecap had been drained most of its contents, and he could tell the little guy had eaten his fill.