C H A P T E R T W O

"I don't date blondes Elle!" I called behind me as my best friend ran up beside me, "you don't know until you try!" she replied beckoning to the boy behind us with the blonde mop of hair on his head.

I shook my head violently as I continued to stomp away from the food section of the shopping centre. "Refusing to date a blonde has to be some kind of brunette discrimination towards blondes Ju" Elle huffed beside me, "Well I think that's just your blonde haired self trying to stand up for your kind" I giggled.

"He was cute" she muttered once again, I rolled my eyes as I replied, "he was blonde too". Elle and I walked into H&M together as our eyes scanned the racks. "Maybe you'll have more options when you go to uni?" Elle asked picking up a brown, fluffy cardigan.

I shrugged my shoulders and said, "maybe".

I hated when Elle brought up the topic of university. We weren't going to the same place and I was really going to miss my best friend, she was the sister I never had.

My mum and dad had cursed me to be an only child even though I had wished every year for a sibling. I guess, in a way, Elle was my wish.

I was leaving for uni tomorrow and I was slightly dreading it because I would know no-one.

I was praying there were still nice people out there.

"I'm going to get this" Elle said bringing the cardigan to the counter. We walked out the store and towards Elle's car.

Like the reckless teenagers we are, we blasted Capital FM all the way home and sung at the top of our voices to about every song that came on.

Pulling up to my house I said my goodbyes to Elle as she promised to be here in the morning. I watched her pull away as I walked into my house.

Dad was in the living room watching the news with Mum in the kitchen cooking whatever beautiful thing I could smell.

"Hey Juliet" mum called as I walked into the kitchen. I went closer to investigate what was cooking and the grin on my face could not be contained as I realised it was my favourite - Shepard's pie.

"Thought I'd cook you something you really wanted as your last cooked meal from me for a while" my mum said in response to my grin.

Mum served it all up on the table as dad walked in and kissed her on the head. "Hey Ju" dad called sitting opposite me.

Dad still had his uniform on, or partly, as Mum had shouted at him many times for bringing his gun to the table. Dad was a police officer and worked all day whilst my mum was a nurse and worked all night.

My mum had booked the night off so that she could see me before I left for uni tomorrow and Dad had ensured he was finished with work on time as well.

They both felt really guilty that they weren't coming with me but I told them it's not like I was moving away forever and that I would be coming home at the end of each term anyway.

After dinner we watched a movie together and I went to bed. Slightly worried over tomorrow and whether or not dad would secretly pack his gun in my bag for "safe measures".