"I teleported, dumbass."

***Nadine's outfit***

"Nadine! Get down here! Now!"

Mom's screaming lures me into consciousness and I didn't even realize I had fallen asleep.

Stretching my arms and my legs, I slowly stand up, dreading the conversation that's bound to come as soon as I'm within viewing distance of my mother.

I walk downstairs at a speedy pace, despite my craving to walk as slow as possible, and am standing in front of my mother in seconds.

"You're grounded."

My eyes widen at her causal tone. She seems completely unaffected by it. Her arms are crossed and her foot is tapping away, showing her annoyance. However, there is no anger present. Why isn't she mad at me?

"Your father, sister and I are going out this weekend. You aren't allowed to leave the house, or have any friends over. And don't call us unless it's an emergency." She says, and begins walking away.

I stand still for a moment, shocked from her words, but then hurry to catch up to her as she waltzes toward the kitchen.

"Amelia has to go back to college. And you're going to leave me here alone, for two days?"

I can't help my jaw from hanging open. Why are they trusting me to be by myself all of the sudden?

"I know you want your sister gone, but her college is doing some repairs that are taking longer than expected. And we will actually be gone for four days."

"Four?" I nearly shout out, but manage to keep my voice at only a slightly raised volume.

"I knew you were stupid, but I didn't know you were deaf too," she mutters under her breath, but aware that I can hear based on the smirk adorning her lips, "yes. Four days. Now go upstairs and don't come out again."

"But I haven't eaten-"

"Upstairs. Now." Her eyes bore into mine, daring me to disobey.

I don't.

Once I'm upstairs, I wipe angry tears away from my eyes hastily. I lean against the door and sink to the floor, my back pushed up against the polished wood.

What did I ever do to them? They treat me like I'm garbage, and I have no idea why. I'm their daughter. Their blood is coursing through my veins. I have my mom's blue eyes, and my hair is a mixture of dad's blonde and mom's brown.

I'm their child. Their daughter. Their family.

But you wouldn't know it by the way they look at me. Like I'm less than them. Like I deserve absolutely nothing. Like I am nothing.

More tears fall from my eyes and I swipe them away before they can reach the middle of my cheek.

"A-hem."

I would've jumped backward if it weren't for the lack of space between me and the door.

I quickly look up in the direction of the throat-clearing, and am shocked once I see Nick leaning against my desk.

"How the heck did you get in here?" I quickly stand up, causing a feeling of dizziness to wash over me.

My hand grips onto the door to steady myself, and I hear him snicker from across the room.

"I teleported, dumbass."

He says it so seriously that I can't help but burst into laughter. My hands fly to my stomach and I bend over as the boisterous laughter leaves my lips.