Chapter 31 [2]

Written: June 2019     Edited: February 2021

Charlie's PoV:

Alarms were blaring as I stumbled out of the infirmary, I'd been in ever since I was taken by Valentine slowly recovering from my mystery illness day by day. I was stronger by any means, able to walk around with having to hold onto something every time I moved. I made my way to the main console area where red lights filled the room and Clary, Jace and Alec were all stood around from what I could make out a dead body. As I got closer to the bodies I realised their runes had been cut out.

"Um okay, what the fuck is going on?" I asked walking closer to the bodies. They all spun around to face me, Alec immediately rushed to my side but I waved my hand signalling I was fine. I knelt down next to the bodies, pulling out gloves from my jacket pocket.

"Why do you carry gloves in your pocket?" Jace asked his face stern.

"You never know when you're going to need them," Alec said before I could even speak. I turned and smiled at him,aware that he had indeed asked me the same question not long ago.

"So from what I heard you think this is just one downworlder," I asked causing all three of them to nod.

"Well sorry to inform you but this isn't a lone wolf," I sighed as I looked back down at the bodies.

"What?" Jaced asked.

"There are two puncture wounds on Penmounts neck he's been drained of blood, and Rosegreen" I paused lifting up the body bag to get a better view of his chest, ripping the shirt slightly and inspecting the gaping hole in his chest.

"Yeah Rosegreens been impaled by a Seelie knight, so you shouldn't be looking for a lone wolf. My guess is we've got a few rogue down worlders or this is an uprising" I said peeling off the gloves. I struggled to stand, so Alec quickly reached out and pulled me up from my crouched position.

"Hey guys Imogen is calling a meeting" we all turned to the shadow hunter, nodding and following in their direction. Alec's hand grasped onto mine as we stood next to Izzy.

"Another shadow hunter was found dead last night in Williamsburg. This time, murdered by a warlock. In this time of crisis, it is essential that we maintain strong leadership. This is why I am naming Jace Herondale head of the institute" all our heads shot in Jace's direction, a shocked look on his face. I looked up at Alec, his grip on my hand tightening as he looked between Jace and Imogen. I pulled our hands up, plating a kiss on his hand turning his attention to me. He gave me a sad smile, so I let go of his hand, leaning into his side and wrapping my arm around his waist.

"Jace Herondale will be head of the institute, effective upon my departure to Idris. Dismissed" Shadow hunters dispersed, but gave their congratulations to Jace as they passed.  Jace pointed his head over to a console table, the rest of us following. Alec and I still stay locked onto each other. I knew he needed comfort right now, he would be great as head of the institute.

"The inquisitor would like us to reach out to our allies, to see what they know. At this point, she considers all downworlders suspects." He said causing me to let out a small scoff which was louder then I intended. 

"That's a pretty broad net," Alec said as I nodded in agreement.

"Seeing as Luke's DNA was cleared we should collect samples from all of our friends to clear them as well, so I'll go to Magnus," I said everyone nodding in agreement. Clary informed us she would go tell Simon walking away.

"I'll go see Raphael" Izzy said and my eyes widened. 

"No!" Alec shouted so I grabbed hold of his hand again.