Chapter 20 [2]

Written: April 2017             Edited: February 2021

Charlie's PoV:

I sat clutching on to alec's hand, wiping the sweaty hair off of his face as he lay trembling on the floor of Magnus's apartment. We had to move from the institute when news broke out to Aldertree that I had been spotted in the insitiute. Izzy sat next to me, a sad look on her face as she watched her brother struggle to stay alive.

"Iz take a minute and get some fresh air, I've got him he will be fine" she nodded sending me a small smile, before standing up and walking over to the balcony.

 "Please hold on." I whispered into alec's ear.

"Jace will be here soon and I've tried everything I can to help you so please just stay alive please. I love you Alec please," I said finally giving in and breaking down, for the first time in years I had cried and probably the most I have since what happened with Robbie.

Magnus came rushing too my side, resting alec down and pulling me into a hug. 

"He will be fine petal," I nodded, pulling away and wiping away my tears.

"Where's Jace?" I asked looking down at alec.

"Jace is on his way" he said and I nodded smiling as I saw Izzy come back inside. She smiled back at me until she saw something behind me. I turned around to find a battered looking Jace rush into the room.

"Jace oh my god"  I exclaimed rushing over to him, engulfing him in a hug which he returned;we weren't the type to be so affectionate towards each other, but I had to admit it was good seeing him.

"Alec" Jace said as we pulled away. I brought him over to alec, the both of us kneeling down next to him.

"You can do it jace" I said giving his hand a squeeze before standing back up and grabbing onto Izzy and Clary's hands.

Jace grabbed alec's hand and put their hands together, a yellow glow emitting from them.

"Entreat me not to leave thee or to return from following after thee." He breathed heavily before Alec dropped the stone they held in their hands.

"What's happening?" Izzy asked her grip on my hand tightening.

"He's slipping" Magnus said.

"Oh my god" I whispered, as Izzy hid her face on my shoulder.

Alec was wheezing and trying grasp for breath, to cling on to whatever little bit of life he had left. Never in my life had I felt so powerless and weak to point where I couldn't do anything.

"Thy people will be my people, thy God will be my God. When thou diest, I will die. And there will I be buried. The Angel do so to me." Jace said and he started crying. Alec wasn't getting any better. We all looked at the stone to see the light dying out and Alec took his last breathe.

"NO" I shouted. I suddenly felt weak, my body felt like it was going to collapse but clary and Izzy kept me up.

Jace grabbed Alec and hugged him, and I watched on my heart breaking.

"And more also If aught but death part thee and me. Please don't leave me, Alec." Jace said sobbing.

"If aught but death part thee and me." Alec said in a voice barely able to be heard. I looked up as Jace smiled happily. They pulled apart and the quickly hugged again. I started to move forward to go and hug Alec when I heard a familiar voice.

"Jace Wayland! You are hereby sentenced to the City of Bones to await trial for the charge of high treason and aiding Valentine in the war against the Clave." We all turned around to see Aldertree 

"Wait, what! What the hell is going on? "Alec said weakly, I put his arm around my shoulder, to help him gain some balance.

"It's all right, Alec." Jace said looking at Alec.

"All that matters is you're back." He said before walking towards aldertree and the guards.

"Jace wait!" I said and he turned to face me, I grabbed his hand pulling him closer to me.

"We'll get you out I promise,  I will do whatever I can" he gave my hand a weak squeeze before walking forward once more.

"Magnus help me with alec for a second" he nodded, taking my place as I walked towards the guards taking Jace away.

"ALDERTREE" I shouted. He watched as Jace was being escorted out the room, spinning around to face me at the mention of his name.

"What now?" he asked rolling his eyes. I walked up to him scoffing at his answer, he raised his eyebrows at me.

"Charlie!" Clary warned behind me, I turned giving her a cheeky smile before turning back around and punching Aldertree in the face. He fell to the floor and I smiled triumphantly. He looked up at me from the floor holding onto his nose.

"You've broken my nose" I just shrugged.

"It's an improvement. Now get the fuck out" I said standing my ground as he slowly got up to his feet, still clutching onto his nose as he rushed out the door. As soon as he was gone I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding.

"That was amazing" Magnus said, I turned to face him rushing over to alec who he was holding up. I grabbed a nearby chair and putting it behind alec before slowly helping him sit down.

"Your hand" he said grabbing it weakly, there was blood on my knuckles.

"Pretty sure that's his blood, don't worry" he game me a small smile pulling me towards him so I was sat on his lap.

"Alec" I warned but he just smiled, before leaning close to my ear.

"I love you too" I looked at him in shock, I had completely missed the fact that I told him I loved him and he heard it. He laughed at my shocked expression, I shook my head a small smile playing at my lips, before I leaned in pecking his lips before standing up. As soon as I moved away, Izzy rushed over to alec, engulfing him in a hug. After they pulled apart Izzy helped him out of the chair and bathroom where he could change. As soon as they were out of earhsot I turned to Clary and Magnus.

"Tonight, we will take things easy; after all we've only just got alec back but tomorrow we work our asses off to get jace back" They both nodded in agreement, the determination clear on our faces.