Chapter 28[2]

Written: December 2017              Edited: February 2021

Charlie's PoV:

"Your so dead!" I shouted running after Magnus as he threw flour on me. He ran around the corner cackling. I picked up an egg, aiming it at him as he stopped holding his hands up in defence. I went to throw the egg when an alarm blared from my phone.

"Truce?" I asked and he nodded as I walked over to my phone. 

"Shit," I said putting the egg down, grabbing my phone and walking out to where my bag was, picking up my bow and arrows.

"Charlie, what's going on?" Magnus asked following after me.

"The institute is under attack," I said tightening the strap against my shoulder while Magnus made a portal, standing next to it.

"I'm coming too" I nodded the both of us stepping through it. As soon as we stepped into the institute, bodies lay on the floor, blood pooling around them. Both Magnus and I rushed over, checking the pulses but each body we checked was met with a defeated sigh.

"I've got one!" I looked over to see magnus knelt beside a body, the shadow hunter was shaking and both Magnus and I  knew it was too late. I grabbed his hand as Magnus used his magic to take away the pain. 

"Valentine" the shadow hunter whispered, before his life was stripped from his body. Magnus and I shared a distraught look before my phone started buzzing.

"It's Clary," I said to Magnus as I swiped on the message.

"Valentine has taken Simon and he's in the institute" I sighed, before pushing myself off the floor.

"If Valentines here, its because he needs recourses like the power core," I said and Magnus nodded.

"You go protect the power core, I'll see what I can do to help" I nodded, pulling Magnus in for a hug.

"Stay safe" I whispered in his ear.

"You too" the both of us pulled away sharing a final glance before we both went our separate ways. I headed up to the roof, checking bodies on the floor for life and fighting any of Valentine's men I passed. I pushed open the door to the roof, my attention falling on the four guards, blocking the power core.

"Hello, boys! How about we play a little game" I said, my magic surging through me as I threw a blast towards the guards, stunning them. I ran forward, pulling out my seraph blade and launching for the closest of Valentine's men, climbing up on him and wrapping my legs around his head using the momentum of my body to pull him down. Once he was on the floor, I stabbed him in the chest before swinging my seraph blade round to the fast-approaching guard. I sliced his stomach before standing up fully and stabbing him in the neck his eyes widening as he fell to the floor. I reached backwards, pulling my bow out, while the other two yards ran at me. I kicked one in the stomach, him stumbling back while I pulled an arrow out and thrusting it into the eye of the other attacker.  As the last remaining man stood up, recovering from the hit I pulled an arrow out, readying it as he ran towards me, he screamed as he got closer his blade aiming for my stomach, but stopped when the arrow I released had embedded itself into his head. He dropped to the floor, and I put my bow back around me as I pulled out my stele. I walked over to the pillar and drew a rune, taking a step back as it made a small explosion revealing the access hatch.

"What in the hell?" I turned, pulling on my bow and grabbing an arrow swiftly turning towards the voice, my arrow ready to be released. 

"Don't shoot!" I dropped my stance when I saw Aldertree stood at the entrance of the roof, his hands up in defence.