Chapter 14 [1]

Written: February 2017                             Edited: September 2020

Charlie's PoV:

I looked on in confusion, watching Jace interact with his father. I had a feeling that something wasn't right, why would they take everything and leave him behind. We were told to think of our dad and it leads us to Jace's. I realised too late, Valentine had made his appearance, disguising himself as Jace's dead father, or supposed father because valentine was quick to tell me and clary he is our brother. The only good thing that came out of it, was that we were able to find my mom.

I watched as Luke ran over to my mom's floating body, pulling her back through the portal, bringing her through to the institute. 

Alec stood watching us, his arms crossed as he observed the three of us. Clary and Jace could barely look at each other, everything was just going wrong.

"How did you know that he was Valentine?" Jace turned to me and asked.

"There was just something off, I couldn't shake the feeling" I fiddled with my hands as I spoke, I felt guilty I hadn't noticed it earlier.

"He told me that he knew my mother was pregnant, but he couldn't have," I said.

"That was what made me fully realise" I finished and Jace grabbed my hand in his, sharing an affection we hadn't before.

"You should've told me." He said.

"Would you have believed me?" I said and he sighed before speaking again.

"There's something wrong with me." He said I shook my head profusely.

"You wanted to believe him. I would have, too." Clary answered back and we all went silent. It was a big shock to all of us.

"No. I'm weak. He was right about that. I should have killed him." He said and both me and clary shook our heads.

"He's your father, Jace," Clary said

"Yours, too, guys." He said and I nodded knowing my father was and always will be a monster.

"There is nothing wrong with you, the only thing that's wrong is that I didn't drive my blade through valentine myself," I said before heading back into the direction of my room, stopping when I heard voices around the corner.

"But you don't have to marry her," Magnus said, I immediately assumed he was talking about Lydia.

"Yes, I do, Magnus," Alec said back sternly.

You'll be lonely all your life, and so will she. Neither of you deserves it. And Charlie doesn't either." Magnus finished, his eyes widening as he walking around the corner, seeing me listening in. He gave me a sad smile and a squeeze of my hand as a reassurance before he walked off, leaving me to face alec alone. As I walked around the corner, I bumped into a body, arms immediately gripping me and stopping me from falling; when I looked up I saw alec.

"Thanks," I said before pushing myself away from him, ignoring the feeling I felt when I was near him. He hadn't brought up the other day, and so then I assumed that this was it, I ruined everything.

I woke up lazily throwing on a top and some joggers, not ready for the day. I started shoving things into my bag, ready to make a quick escape from the institute to get away from alec and Lydia's wedding, but a knock on the door broke me out of my preparations.

"Morning happy," Izzy said walking in with a spring in her step.

"Iz what are you doing here?" I asked as I knew she had to be busy today.