Chapter 22

A/N:
I just realised Mai is already be retired... but... honestly I don't follow the rumours that closely and only Googled her once. But I need something for drama, right?

The next day at the studio, the four members were there bright and early.
"How did meeting the parents go?" Ryota asked with a laugh.
"Better than expected" Toru responded as John walked in the room.
"Taka can we talk in my office?" He asked as Taka looked around confused.
"What did I do this time? I've barely even left my apartment to be photographed" Taka responded as he got up to go to the room where he only went to be scolded for tabloids. 

"You didn't do anything this time, apparently there are pictures of your mom entering and leaving your apartment. The tabloids think you told her about an engagement to Mai" John said as he pulled up photos.
"That's dumb, she came over so I could tell her about my boyfriend" Taka said with a laugh.
John put his head in his hands and sighed, "you can't use that as an alibi"
Taka continued laughing, "she was in Tokyo. I made her dinner. Is that really that big a deal? Unless I'm now banned from cooking for my mother as well as selling my apartment?" Taka asked as he played with the rubik's cube on John's desk.
"No, it's fine. Just wanted to confirm with you before I put out a media statement saying she just happened to be in Tokyo and visited you" John said as he dismissed Taka to go record his parts.

"So what did you do this time?" Tomo asked with a laugh as they both finished for the day.
"I had my mother over for dinner and the tabloids are having a field day" Taka responded as he sat on the couch to wait for Toru to be finished.
"That's rough" Tomo noted.
"You know Mai, right? Can't you tell her to squash these rumours? Not sure my media statements are doing very much" Taka asked.
"I've only met her a few times. I think I last saw her a few months after your dating scandal. I can try to see if anyone knows anything?" Tomo suggested.
"Thank yooou, you're my favourite" Taka announced as he hugged Tomo.
There was the sound of throat clearing as Toru stood behind them. "I thought I was your favourite?"
"You're my favourite occasionally" Taka laughed as Toru began tickling him.
"Say I'm you're favourite" Toru commanded as Taka giggled like a kid.
"Fine. Fine. You're my favourite" Taka laughed.
"Good" Toru responded as he kissed Taka.
"What are we doing tonight?" Taka asked.
"Going straight home to my place to avoid the paparazzi?" Toru laughed.
"Fine. We'll go to your apartment with the shitty oven" Taka admitted in defeat.

"So Tomo, did you find anything good for me?" Taka asked a few days later as the four of them were sat around the studio before the day began.
"Nope. Nothing, sorry Mori-chan" Tomo responded.
"No longer my favourite" Taka sighed as he shook his head and John walked in.
"Can we talk Taka?" he asked.
"No, no. I've done nothing. I'm a hermit. Don't take me to the torture room you call an office" he responded as he tried to hide behind Toru.
John sighed. "Fine. I guess we can talk in here"
"What did Taka do this time?" Ryota laughed.
"Taka didn't do anything, actually. There's a rumour going around the media world that Mai is planning on making a statement tomorrow morning" John announced.
"Finally she's going to deny the stupid rumour?" Taka breathed a sigh of relief.
"I assume so, but, not entirely sure what it's about. I've been trying to call people to find out in advance but her team is very tight lipped" John responded. "But just so we're not in for any surprises, are you sure you have nothing to do with her? Because now would be the time to tell me"
"I already told you, I have nothing to do with her. I would never cheat on Toru" Taka responded.
"Just checking. Apparently she's holding a news conference tomorrow at 10am, so, hopefully it's over by then" John said as he left the room.

Toru and Ryota both left to go record parts as Taka and Tomo were left on the couch.
"Hopefully that's the end of the nightmare. I don't even remember how this dumb rumour started" Taka groaned.
"You were seen at a jewellery store looking at engagement rings" Tomo laughed.
"But I wasn't actually looking at them" Taka responded.
"I mean, it kinda looked like you were" Tomo admitted.
"So now you believe the words of tabloids over me?" Taka asked.
"Not the Mai part. Just the... engagement ring part" Tomo admitted.
"I'm not engaged. I'd obviously tell you if I was" Taka sighed.
"Would you though? It took you an entire year to tell us you're dating Toru" Tomo laughed.
"That's different though. Also, we can't get married in Japan anyway" Taka replied.
"You can get married in America. The Japanese government won't recognise it, but, you'd be married in other countries" Tomo responded. "Anyway, I should probably go do some actual work..."
Taka barely even noticed Tomo had just left the room, he was too busy thinking of the conversation they just had.

"So. Final night of this nonsense..." Toru said as he and Taka were lying on the couch.
"I hope so" Taka responded as he cuddled on Toru's chest. "What are we ordering for dinner?"
"Ramen probably..." Toru said as he got out his phone to order some.
"Hmmm... no. Let's get curry" Taka responded.
"Yep, whichever you want" Toru said as he kissed Taka's forehead before his phone rang.
"Sorry, I gotta take this..." Toru said as he left the room to talk on the phone.
Taka thought that was weird but decided to just order curry on his own phone.
"Who was it?" Taka asked as Toru laid back down.
"Just my brother. Did you order the curry?" Toru lied as he tried to quickly change the conversation.
"Yea, it'll be here soon" Taka said as he curled back up beside Toru.