Chapter 21

The next day they were at the studio to begin recording and the tabloids went wild with the pictures of Taka looking at rings. Some even suggested perhaps he didn't buy a ring then, but was debating it. 

Taka was sat around the band lounge room with Ryota when his mom called him.
"Hey mom... yea, I've heard the rumours... no they're not true... yes of course I'd tell you if I was about to get married... do I have a girlfriend?" Taka repeated the last question back go his mom. He felt guilty for not telling them about him and Toru. "no I don't have a girlfriend mom, of course I would tell you if I did..." Taka answered his mom's questions feeling guilty. "no I have nothing to do with her. We went on a date more than a year ago... the date went horrible... I don't wanna talk about it... I don't know if she's pregnant...I hadn't heard that part of the rumour... well if she's pregnant it's not mine... I'm not talking to you about my sex life mom"
Taka heard Ryota laughing as Toru walked into the lounge room.
"...If you're in Tokyo next week you should come by my apartment I'll make you dinner.... No I have no pregnancies or engagements to announce...I have to go mom, I'm at work, email me your plans and I'll tell you when's good" Taka said as he hung up.
"Did you just have a conversation with your mom about your sex life?" Ryota laughed as Toru sat beside Taka.
"Did you tell her how good I am in bed?" Toru laughed as he ruffled Taka's hair.
"How many times have I told you two not to discuss your sex life in front of me? I never tell you guys about Michelle and I" Ryota sighed.
"I thought that was because you rarely have time for sex now that you have a kid?" Taka laughed.
"No, it's because it's a private matter shouldn't be talked about at work" Ryota responded.
"You know Ryota, I once had sex with Taka on the couch you're sitting on" Toru said as Ryota got off it quickly.
"What the hell. Why would you have sex somewhere anyone can walk in? At least save it for a supply closet or something" Ryota responded.
"The door locks" Taka responded as he laughed and then got on the couch with Toru before Tomo walked in.
"Hey Taka, heard a rumour you're having a shotgun marriage with Mai"
"That's obviously false, did you know this door locks?" Ryota asked.
"Yea, Taka locked it one time when he was watching porn with Toru. I think that was the day I introduced him to Mai, actually" Tomoya replied.
Taka and Toru laughed, "Yea, Taka wasn't watching porn"
Taka hit Toru with the back of his hand as they both continued laughing.
"If you guys were dating, why would you go on a date with Mai?" Tomoya asked as Taka shifted uncomfortably.
"We weren't dating at the time. It was post-coming out, pre-dating. I knew it was a shitty thing to do, but thought maybe if I tried dating a girl I'd just go back to being straight and get over Toru?" Taka admitted, scratching his neck uncomfortably.
"Ah, young stupid Takahiro. You really thought that would work?" Toru laughed and rested his legs on Taka's.
"Ehhhh shut up, it was worth a try" Taka laughed as he checked his phone. "My mom's in Tokyo next week, wanna have dinner with her Tuesday?"
"Meeting the parents? Sounds kinda scary..." Toru remarked as he looked at Taka.
"You've met my mom before. This is hardly meeting the parents scenario" Taka responded.
"Well, this seems like a fun conversation, we're gonna go for the night" Ryota said as him and Tomo left the room.
"Does your mom know about us?" Toru asked.
"No, does yours?" Taka asked back.
"No, but. Yea. If you want to tell your mom I'll go to dinner Tuesday" Toru responded as he gulped.
"Excellent, wanna go home now?" Taka asked as he got up.
"Which place is home exactly?" Toru asked.
Taka sighed, "my apartment. You more or less also live there. We should start house hunting, though"
"We'll start doing that when we actually start the process of moving" Toru responded as he followed Taka out of the studio.

Taka and Toru were getting ready to meet Taka's mom for dinner. Taka was cooking while Toru would wash dishes as Taka used them.
Taka's mom arrived on time as Taka went to go greet her.
"Toru's gonna join us. He can't cook to save his life and likes to mooch off me" Taka said as Toru walked up behind him.
"Ah yes, Toru. I haven't actually seen you in person for a few years" Masako responded.
"Yea, it's been a while. The band has been busy" Toru responded as he hugged Masako.
The three ate dinner and Taka cleaned up as Toru talked with Taka's mom.
"So Taka, what is with this Mai rumour?" Masako asked as Taka sat down beside Toru.
Taka sighed as he felt Toru put his hand on his knee. "I don't even know, apparently she retired and people think she's pregnant. I haven't talked to her for more than a year, so I have no idea"
"What about that picture of you at the jewellery store looking at engagement rings? Is there someone else?" His mom asked.
Taka looked nervously at Toru, mentally preparing himself.
"The tabloids left out the pictures of Toru buying earrings" Taka responded. "I was just wandering around the shop trying to find the earrings"
"That's it?" Masako asked.
"I mean, not quite, um" Taka said as he felt his mouth go dry. "I have been seeing someone recently. No engagement rings, but uh"
"Who is it? Rola?" Masako asked with a smile.
"No, no, not Rola. Um" Taka kept mumbling as Toru looked over at him. "Toru's my boyfriend"
Taka was afraid to look at his mom's reaction as she got up.
Taka felt his life flashing before his eyes, all the times he had disappointed his mom over the years as he felt her slap him on the back of his head.
"Why didn't you tell me you were inviting your boyfriend for dinner?" She said as Taka let out a loud sigh of relief and Toru laughed at him.
"I didn't wanna tell you over email" Taka responded awkwardly.
"How long have you two been dating?" Masako asked as she sat back down across from them.
"A year and a bit" Taka responded as he began to relax.
Taka's mom continued to ask him and Toru random questions before leaving Toru and Taka alone for the night.

"That went well" Toru said as he sat on the couch with Taka and wine.
"She didn't seem as disappointed as I thought she would be" Taka noted as he rested his legs on Toru's.
"She didn't seem disappointed at all, Taka. If she was disappointed she probably would have walked out or ignored it completely" Toru responded as he put down his wine glass and cuddled next to Taka.
Taka sighed as he put his arms around Toru, "she probably hasn't realised yet that I won't be giving her grandkids"
"We talked about this a long time ago, Taka. There are other ways to have kids these days" Toru responded.
"We did?" Taka asked, confused.
Toru laughed, "oh right. You were drunk and probably don't remember"
"During the north american tour?" Taka asked as he looked at Toru.
"No, on your 30th birthday" Toru laughed. "You began going off about how you weren't married and were going to die without ever having kids"
"Why didn't you tell me I said stupid things like that?" Taka asked.
"We had only been dating a month, I was shocked you brought it up, I was hardly going to bring it up again. I just said there are other ways to have kids and you passed out" Toru laughed as he saw Taka's mood shift.
"Even if we did one of those things. Who would look after the kid while we go off on tours for months at a time for years on end? Not to mention keeping a kid out of the tabloids. They'd figure it out then ask whose it is" Taka responded.
"How much longer is the band going to do tour after tour for though? I assume we'll slow down by the time we get to our 40s. There'll be a time after one ok rock, when we can look seriously into having kids. Maybe some wacky scientists will find a way for you to get pregnant by then" Toru laughed.
"Ehhh I'm not getting pregnant, you are. I'm already a moody mess most of the time without hormones" Taka laughed.
"How would you deal with me being a moody mess when you're already a moody mess? You would definitely be the pregnant one" Toru laughed as he played with Taka's hair.