Haley

• Dedicated to Bidemi Jenyfa Oleseni

Enjoy:)

“Mel look!” Chelsea pointed to where Shauna was on the field glaring at me, then she turned the other direction and left. What was I going to do? I didn’t want another person at my neck all day. It’s not like I can just walk up to her and say ‘hey Shauna, I’m not going to make a move on your boyfriend.’ Or maybe I should… most people think nothing bothers me and I’m not going to let them know something does. I’ve worked too long and hard to keep up this façade and I was not going to lose it all because of some gang member and his girlfriend.

“I’m not worried about it,” I told her, shrugging.

She shook her head. “I know you Mel. You’re stressing,” she whispered. Now that statement worries me more than the idea of Shauna looking for me. If she wasn’t so dumb I probably wouldn't be so close to her. She was a really great friend though, I had my first sleepover at her house and even though there wasn’t enough space to get comfortable, the thought of having a true friend was such an amazing feeling. 

That night I had nightmares as usual and she rubbed my back, soothing me until I fell back to sleep. That was one of the only nights I ever slept peacefully, although I was sure to be on the pills just in case, I didn’t want her to see a monster lying on the bed the next morning.

Kelly and I decided to choose a mash up of a slow R & B and a fast hip hop music specially for our routine. My body hummed to the beat, that’s what I loved about being part of the squad. It’s the music that pulls me in and makes me forget about all my problems.

“Kelly, teach the basic moves to the new girls and then we’ll try it as a group. I will lead the rest of the squad.” I told Kelly. Of course she did it with a spice of her own. I went over to our group and played the music player. This was not like our normal routine; this was like a hip hop sexy dance mixed with some cheerleading throws and jumps. We started off with a slow and a sexy dance, then went fast.

An hour and a half later, we were exhausted and sweaty so I dismissed everyone. I walked to the car with Chelsea. “You need a ride?” I asked her when we reached the parking lot.

“No thanks, I have a date with Taylor,” she grinned cheekily.

“Okay, oh my God Chels!” I whisper shouted.  “You have to help me get out of here before Scott gets here.” I told her when I saw Scott jogging from a distance towards our direction. I definitely didn’t want any drama today.

“Sure,” she said as I jogged to my car. I knew she would do a good job when I saw her remove one of her heels and was doing what I presumed was threatening him with it. I think it got serious when Taylor ran to Scott and shoved him hard, putting Chelsea in a protective manner, in front of him. Chelsea looked over Taylor and winked at me.

I grinned. She might be crazy but I could always count on her, I thought happily as I climbed into the car. I decided to check on Haley first before I went home. I missed her so much.

After a fifteen minute drive to the place I finally arrived. It was fairly big and had a big ‘Dracco Institution’ on the top of the building. I couldn’t believe Glenna would leave her own child in some institution named Dracco for that matter. I bet she doesn’t even check on Haley, it's so sad.

I walked into the building and the smell of drugs and hospital stuff hit me hard, I always hated the smell. 

“Good evening, I’m looking for a Haley Joan.” I told the receptionist. She didn’t even look up when she nodded and went back to chatting with someone I couldn't care less about on the phone. Who the hell did she think she was?

1-2-3-4… I counted to myself. “Excuse me miss, could you attend to me?” she ignored me again and even had the nerve to roll her eyes at me. Okay just breathe in and out.