Chapter I Part II

It was no surprise to Max when he slammed open the doors of the Mess Hall to find scrambled eggs, that were stuck to the ceiling, dripping down onto the floor. If he could get any kind of positivity out of the situation, it would be that the smell of eggs faintly masked the mysterious smell of human faeces. The bearable half of the camp was still asleep which meant he had to socialise with the annoying assholes he was only starting to tolerate.

Max slumped down on the table, his tray of slop making a clang on the table. His grumbling stomach forced him to place dainty spoonfuls of tasteless slop in his mouth. The black coffee at his side was the only thing that kept him from snapping. 

As he ate, he couldn't help but overhear an uncomfortable conversation consisting of Dolph complaining about juice over the noise of Nurf bashing up Spacekid's helmet. Over and over again, Dolph would go on about how much he hated the juice boxes provided at camp, vowing to eliminate them. The last time this happened, Neil was there to witness it and kept an eye on him for the rest of the week. 

What was probably the twentieth time Dolph said the word "juice" and the hundredth time a shiver ran down Max's spine, he could not help but burst out, "Shut the fuck up about juice!"

"Watch that potty mouth Max," David scolded seemingly out of nowhere.

Max jolted in surprise, almost spilling his precious coffee from the mug in his hands. David stood at the with his hands on his hips and furrowed eyebrows that tried to establish firmness that Max knew was completely fabricated.

"Sorry David," Max said without thinking.

Shit.

"I mean- uh, fuck off David."

Even with the correction at the end, Max knew the damage was already done. David's eyes started to get more glassy as he clasped his hands dramatically to his chest, but it was not in the way Max would have liked. The man's cheeks reddened and a wobbly but wide beam spread across his face.

"Oh Max." Oh shit. "You've never apologized to me before."

Gwen, who was leaning casually against the wall next to David, gave Max a knowing smirk. That bitch. The boy opted to squint aggressively at her before continuing to eat his "breakfast". He could practically feel the eyes of everyone glued to him for a few seconds until they finally realised there was nothing else to see.

Nikki and Neil entered the Mess Hall together a few minutes later, arguing about the rules of chess or something pointless enough for Max to care less about. They sat down with him as usual and talked about something they all had in common; how much camp and the food there sucked. 

After breakfast, David announced that he was taking the camp on some stupid hike. Naturally, everyone either felt indifferent or outright hated the idea of walking in the heat for hours except for Nikki, being a part of her Adventure Camp and all. Everyone still had to do it anyway and the groans from the campers, including Max's, could not discourage the happy-go-lucky fucktard ruining their day with his presence. He was still wearing his stupid smile from ear to ear when Max brought up how stupid the idea was.