Chapter Fifteen- Not my Son

Nikki POV:

Max's parents were impatiently standing outside of a grey car at the camp entrance. His dad was taller and had a more muscular build than the scrawny David. He wore grey sweat pants with some brown stains on them and a singlet top which made it obvious that they thought this was a novelty.

Although he had a harsh and intimidating face and demeanor, he was slouched and wore a nonchalant expression. He ran a hand through his straight, greasy hair and gave a sigh as the mother was ranting about her son.

His mother looked the complete opposite with a petite build with overdressed attire for the occasion and a very pretty face. She wore a navy blazer with a white blouse underneath that went well with her blood red skirt with black stockings. I immediately knew why Max didn't overheat in his hoodie.

She seemed like she cared to much about her appearance especially with those fancy sunglasses. The mother seemed to have Max's nose and lips but her hair was as straight as a pole. Both of their skin colours seemed quite a bit darker than Max's, maybe that's what happens when people of their ethnicity get older.

"Max told me a bit about the way you treat him and I don't think it's healthy for him to stay with you," David said politely.

"He was lying idiot," the mother snapped. "We never hit him with stuffed toys filled with marbles or kitchen utensils! The little shit just said that for attention!"

"He.... never mentioned anything about marbles," David stated.

The statement made the mother's eyes widen as she turned pale and stiff. Her reactions were just as transparent as Max's. "Well...... well, that's what he tells everyone else." Her tone was very matter-of-fact.

"Stop lying and just hand him over!" Shouted Gwen, her face heating up. "You obviously don't care about him or his well being judging by the recorded phone calls when he needed to go to hospital."

She didn't know how to retaliate and just stood there with her mouth opening and closing attempting to defend herself. Her hand moved up and down slightly so she could accusingly point at the counselors  when she could find something to say.

"If we didn't care for him, then why would we have kept him for 10 years?" The woman finally asked.

David was looking at the ground thinking until he eventually said in a way that was attempting to be polite but failed horribly, "because it would look bad. Or to put it more frankly, you would look bad."

I didn't get it. How come she cared so much about her appearance yet screamed like a child when Max was getting taken away. Was this the breaking point or did the opinions of David and Gwen not matter to her? Or was she just dumb like Max said she was?

The woman scoffed at him. "How- how dare you insinuate that we only kept him so we wouldn't look bad, asshole! You have no idea what you're talking about! We're not leaving without our fucking son!" She screamed.

I knew where Max got his bad language from.

The father didn't really seem to care at all by the way he rolled his eyes at the outburst. He sighed and asked "Where do we sign on the adoption papers?"

"What the actual fuck is the matter with you? You're supposed to be on my side!" Max's mother spat. "Don't you two fucking bond with your book trading?"

'Book trading?' I wondered.

"We're wasting our time here. I don't like having him around, you don't like having him around and he obviously doesn't like being around us," the father said.