Chapter Twenty- Gene the Meh Man

WELCOME TO THE WORLD INSIDE YOUR PHONE! I guess I should put a "trigger warning" here as this chapter is a bit more violent than the others.

David POV:

I concentrated on the pancakes as they turned brown making sure they didn't burn. An hour earlier I had called Gwen to wish her luck on her new job and to tell her vague details about what happened last night. Of course I kept the things that would embarrass Max to myself.

I mentioned that we watched a movie but not what the movie was. I also said that he and I both bonded over a Queen song but left out the part where he was singing.

I was making little guesses in my head about how Max would react to what he said last night as I was tucking him in. He would most likely try to deny it, I figured. I large part of me was hoping that he wouldn't remember and I could just quietly live with the knowledge that he said that he loves me.

"SHIT!" Max yelled from his room.

I instinctively turned off the stove before running into his bedroom to see if something was wrong. I opened his door to find the little boy sitting up on his bed with his face swearing into a pillow.

"Ohhh," I said out loud realising what he was doing. I was honestly expecting worse. At least he didn't burn down the house.

He took the pillow off of his face and avoided eye contact. "I..... I just had a nightmare," he lied.

"It's okay Max. I know what this is really about. People say weird stuff in their sleep. I'm sure you didn't mean it," I said sympathetically.

He pointed at me and gave me a death stare. It still didn't dim my wide smile.

"I told you it was just a nightmare! I don't know what you're talking about!"

"Wanna go eat breakfast?" I asked to change the subject.

He sighed and rolled his eyes. "Fine."

He didn't object when I picked him up and carried him to the table.

"It's only because I didn't want to use my crutches," he explained.

As I was continuing to make pancakes he stayed silent and just stared at me with hatred, probably, but I liked to think it was extra love and extreme admiration.

The morning was a bit awkward for the both of us. He obviously regretted saying what he did last night like I knew he would. He was avoiding eye contact the whole time but still munched on the pancakes as if it were the best thing he'd ever tasted.

When we were half way into our silent breakfast I laughed, "it's okay. You just slipped up."

He just put another bit of pancake in his mouth and grunted. Maybe we didn't bond that much the night before. He wasn't even talking to me. Was it not out of embarrassment? Did I do something?

"Come on buddy," I pleaded. "Talk to me."

"You suck," he muttered, avoiding eye contact.

At least he was talking, even or if was just one of his regular insults.

"How'd you sleep?" I asked even though I already knew the answer judging by the bags under his eyes being less noticeable.

He sighed. "Fine I guess."

"I didn't tell Gwen about Grease or the singing in the car."

His small lips curled into a small smile. "Thanks."

I had to stop myself from sighing with relief in that moment.

After breakfast Max reluctantly got ready to go with me to register for his new school, he knew what boredom was ahead. As we were in the car I told Max that he would need to cut down on the swearing at school.