Chapter Seven- Eight Across

The video above is what a part of this chapter was based off.

No matter how hard he tried to shake it off, Max could feel Gwen's constant gaze on him. Max was on his best behaviour, not causing much trouble, only making fun of Spacekid twice  and only criticising David's naivety three times. It was fucking torture! Not only was the threat of embarrassment enough to make him explode but trying to stay out of trouble was nearly impossible. At least every thing was easier to deal with without Jermy Fartz.  

At the back of his mind, he suspected that David might have already known about the car thing. Someone must have carried him into bed, right? Yet again, if he did know he would have already been extra intolerable around Mas. He could only imagine how David was going to act if he found out, constantly clinging to him and acting like Max actually liked him. It also wouldn't have made sense for Gwen to blackmail Max with the photo unless David didn't already know about it. 

Max figured that David couldn't have known since Gwen was the only person awake at the time. But if Gwen carried him into bed,  then why wouldn't she blackmail him about calling her "dad" when he thought it was David? Maybe he didn't say anything at all and there was nothing to worry about. 

Everyone was at the lake for swimming lessons and Max was about to finish an activity sheet.  The Campers around him were splashing around obnoxiously in the water as if they were trying to make as much noise as possible. Being at camp for as long as he did, Max was able to tune out all the noise and continue filling in his crossword. Although the work was easy, it took him a while to actually fill out the answers because his dominant, right, arm was broken.

"Wow! Great job Max!" David exclaimed, the surprise making Max flinch in the process. A few moments ago he was saving Neil from getting drowned by Nurf and generally making sure no one killed someone else. "You've almost finished the Crazy Camp Campbell Crossword for Camp Campbell Campers! I tried to make it easier because of your arm. Oh, and the answer for eight across is 'Sleepy Peak Peak.'"

"Leave me alone Dad," Max said without thinking. 

The boy went back to his crossword and filled in eight across, smirking to himself slightly. Although he didn't really do anything, he still suckered David into giving him an answer. Filling it in and completing the activity wasn't the least bit satisfying, even when he let out a little laugh after he filled it in. Before he could move onto the next activity, he heard Gwen laugh like a maniac and David making a quiet squeal from behind him. 

"What happened? Did I miss something?" Max asked mainly Gwen. 

"You called David dad," she giggled.

The horrifying realisation hit him like a Nurf hits a nerd. Max actually called David dad and there was no doubt about it. Max slowly turned around to face his camp counsellor, already knowing the embarrassment he was about to face. David was beaming from ear to ear with tears of joy forming in his eyes. His entire face was getting warmer by the second, knowing he fucked up.

"N-no I didn't!" Max stuttered. "Y-you must have heard wrong!"

Gwen laughed even more hysterically, rolling on the floor. Tears fell down David's face as he fanned his eyes like a housewife on reality TV. Sweat was gathering up in the bandage on Max's head. Max curled up into himself and buried his head into his knees. 

"Shut the fuck up you fucking bitch! I didn't call him dad!" Max yelled, almost whining. 

Gwen pulled her phone from her pocket, still snickering, and pointed to it. Max's whole body went cold in fear. His eyes burned slightly as he felt the tears of embarrassment formed. This was rock bottom. David looked quizzically at Gwen then met Max's gaze before the boy looked away.