Chapter Sixteen- Just Max being a Cinnamon Roll

David POV:

After the nurse checked up on Max we were allowed to leave. Everyone seemed to be wondering what happened in that room, besides Gwen who I told first. Nikki and Neil kept on asking him but Max didn't want to them, understandably.

Max and I managed to act normal with a little glance to eachother once in a while then quickly looking away. His injuries weren't that serious and all he had was a bruised jaw. Thankfully there was no damage to his head and it would only hurt for a little while, but that was what painkillers were for. Poor guy.

We headed back to camp in the Camp Mobile and Gwen was driving because I was still taking in the big news. It gave me a lot to think about. I couldn't help but wonder if the boy had lost respect for me because of the news. Maybe it was worse, he could be scared of me.

It was late afternoon so most of the campers would be finishing off what they were doing. Gwen had turned on the radio to a channel that was playing some pop-music, that I didn't personally like but she seemed to enjoy, to break the silence.

Nikki and Neil asked Max about what happened but he wasn't ready to tell them even if they pestered him about it. He was sitting in the seat behind me. Even though I couldn't see him, I knew he was looking straight at me.

The entire time I asked myself what he must've thought of me. Did he still like me? Hate me? Did he feel uncomfortable? I couldn't seem to read him through the rearview mirror. He wore his usual bored expression with a hint of tiredness but that was to be expected.

The whole news didn't affect me that much, it just made me feel more sorry for Max. I knew his home life was bad, like what mine was, but I had no idea how similar they really were. I didn't think of him as much of a brother, still a son who needed protection from the harsh world. But brothers looked out for each other as well.

I didn't tell him about how Child Protective Services were going to have to do weekly checks on me because I'm my father's son. They also told me that I should take Max to therapy immediately if he displays any violent tendencies.

That raised another question; Was he going to be like Gene? I figured he wasn't, but the boy was a great manipulator and would be willing to hurt people to get his way.

Although there was one crucial difference which was that Max knew when he had gone too far and hurt a person too much. He would make amends and do the right thing in the end. With enough guidance, I told myself, he would be the smart boy he was and have his fun while not hurting people.

I knew, deep down, that Max was a sweet little boy and would never do anything Gene did to me. He was extremely kind when he wanted to be.

Although I was looking forward to adopting Max and becoming a father, I was worried I was going to turn out like mine. I don't know what I'm like when I'm drunk or my limit if I ever were to drink alcohol again.  I would have to make sure no alcoholic substance touches my lips around Max, for his safety and mine.

Max seemed on edge for the entire trip. Nikki and Neil were holding hands which made me think that something happened while I was on the phone. Come to think of it, Max was great at match-making. He got Bonquisha and I together over one conversation on Tinder, he got Gwen and I together and it seems like he got Nikki and Neil together. Inside that loveless facade, he was probably a hopeless romantic like me. How adorable.

The car came to a stop when we were at camp. Gwen looked over at me, still gripping her steering wheel, and noticed I was smiling to myself.

"I'm glad you're feeling better," she said with a warm smile.