Chapter Seventeen- Papers

Max POV:

When I woke up the next morning the harsh reality of yesterday hit me like a bus hits a David. I remembered everything that happened all at once. I remembered that I was never going to see my parents again, that the person who I thought was my dad for my whole life was just someone Mother and I lived with, my "dad" hates my guts and that I'm fucking related to David. Of all people fucking David!

I sighed and sat up with Mr Honeynuts on my lap. The first thing that I noticed when I sat up was that the crutches were gone. At first I thought it was Neil pranking me but then I remembered Gwen taking away my crutches the day before.

"Great, now- ahk," I said out loud, forgetting about my jaw.

'Now I'll have to wait for Gwen to give them back.'

What happened last night was really embarrassing. I couldn't believe that David held me like a little fucking baby and I let him do it! The worst part was that I liked it even though I was way too old. It was nice though and I enjoyed every moment. I felt safer with him than any of my parents at any given point.

I heard loud footsteps outside of the tent and quickly pretended to sleep. The zipper of the tent made a loud screech as the person entered the tent and put my crutches back where they were when I went to sleep. I heard Gwen sigh.

"Max I know you're awake. Today you and David are being supervised by Child Protective Services so you better be on your best behavior," she stated. "Did you hear me?"

I nodded my head. I slowly sat up when she left and grabbed my crutches that were leaning on my bed.

I entered the Mess Hall to see two men and one woman sitting in the corner observing everyone. The olive skinned male was observing me as I ate with Nikki and Neil. The whole thing was really uncomfortable even when doing the simple tasks.

Breakfast was consumed with my thoughts on why people would be watching David. He had already fostered children before and his old family life would have already been documented. So why would they be assessing David's parenting skills?

Nikki and Neil continued playfully arguing, leaving me to my thoughts. When they asked me a question I just said that Neil was right, because he usually was.

I was five minutes into breakfast when my fork dropped into my slop in sudden realization. They were watching me. It made perfect sense because David and I had a similar history. I was also a known problem child with multiple encounters with the police.

That was when I really took Gwen's words into consideration behaved decently. It was almost like that bet with the Woodscouts, except there was no insufferable Jermy Fartz.

In the middle of the day, when we were doing Dolph's art camp, I just wanted to snap at them so they could leave me the hell alone. Thank God my jaw was hurting and it was painful to even speak otherwise they probably wouldn't let me stay with David, yet alone anyone.

David complimented everyone's art as he went around the grassy area. When he got to my painting he almost started crying. My painting wasn't even that good!

"Why the hell are you being like that?" I wrote on my whiteboard that was next to me. I rubbed of the message and wrote in its place, "It isn't even good and you know it."

"I'm just glad your love for nature is showing!" He exclaimed while ruffling my hair.

I looked back at my painting. I was just painting a family of bears in the woods.

"It's just easy to paint. Don't look too deeply into it," I wrote. I rubbed it out. "Also bears are fucking awesome."

David rubbed out "fucking" with his hand and then wrote "darn" with my marker to replace it.