Chapter Eleven- Adoption?

I wanted to name this chapter "Max set a fire and he burned down the camp! WOOOAAHH" But I figured the people who didn't get the reference would be mislead.

David POV:

It had been three days since the whole camp got sick and Max opened up to me, letting me in to his life (Rule 1 no backing down). Since then he hasn't really been talking to me or anyone for that matter. He had been a bit more distant towards Nikki and Neil and had been spending more time on his own. Maybe having the injuries made him sad about not being able to do activities.

The next day I had to take him to a physiotherapist for his broken limbs. I didn't get a chance to tell him earlier because I've been pretty busy and I've just forgotten.

It was around 6:30 pm at night during free time when pink and orange clouds filled the sky while a cool breeze was starting to blow. Everyone else seemed to be getting their stuff done for the day and packing up.

Looking around the place, Max wasn't anywhere to be seen around camp with the other children. The first place I knew to check was in his tent since that was his favorite place at camp where no one but Neil could disturb him.

I cautiously entered the space and saw a lump under the covers of his bed, which I could only assume was Max. The little lump had sniffles and harsh breaths coming from it as it bopped up and down.
Although I couldn't see his face, I knew Max was crying.

"Max?" I asked quietly as I walked in to the tent.

I heard shuffling under his blankets until a mop of messy, raven hair connected to a small face popped out. His face was free of tears but his glassy eyes were red and his cheeks were flushed. I out on a soft smile while walking over to his bed and sitting next to him. He didn't shuffle away, to my surprise.

"Hey, what's wrong buddy?" I soothed before ruffling his hair which was more fluffy and all over the place than usual. He immediately slapped my hand away as always.

"Nothing David," he insisted sternly.

"What did we say about telling the truth?" I said in parent-like tone.

"I'm okay!" He growled.

My eyes locked with his pillow that looked like it had been dumped in Lake Lilac.

"Then why's your pillow wet?"

"Fine." He said. There was a long silence between us.

"Are you going to tell me what's wrong?" I asked to break the ice. I began to think that maybe he's not talking because anyone could overhear or walk in at anytime. "Would you feel more comfortable talking in my office?"

He slowly nodded his head before struggling to get out of bed with the help of me and his crutches. I lead him to the counselor's office, taking the long way to not attract attention from the other campers. I grabbed him a chair and helped him sit down by lifting up the small child.

He looked up at me with shyness I hadn't seen before, innocent eyes somehow holding guilt about what he was going to say. When our eyes met he quickly turned his gaze to the floor.

"What is it Max?" I cooed.

"I can't do anything," he muttered dully.

"Well that's silly. Of course you can. Is this about not being able to participate in some of the activities? There are still plenty of things to do here at Camp Campbell. It's a place for everyone!"

"That's a part of it. But- actually never mind that's all," he said quickly as he tried to get up from his chair. I followed my gut instinct to push him back down so he could ket everything out.