Chapter Twenty Four- The Aftermath

David POV:

Max was picking at his boiled eggs with his fork and seemed to be lost in deep thought as we ate breakfast together. There was an uncertain vibe I was getting from him that made me question whether everything was alright or not. Usually he would grumble and complain about everything before digging in to breakfast.

He would have been at school at that time but Gwen and I decided it would have been best to let him have the day off. Gwen had gone to work, as usual, and there was a substitute taking my place at the Special Ed school I work at. (Yeah I might have forgotten to mention that. Also David knows sign language and can read braille.)

"Hey Max, what's wrong?" I asked him.

He looked up at me with uncertainty. "I don't know. Something just feels..... off. I think something happened but I don't know what it was."

I had a similar feeling. There was an empty feeling in the air that didn't seem quite right. I was just ignoring it all morning since that's what I usually do and try to focus on the positives. The fact that Max was feeling the same thing gave me confirmation that maybe this feeling was warranted.

A few minutes later we heared a knock at the door. I got up to answer it, leaving Max by himself at the table. There were two women and a man at the door dressed in a smart, navy blue uniform. It was a bit embarrassing since I was still in my pine tree pajamas.

"How can I help you?" I asked plastering a smile on my face that contrasted their solemn look.

Then the strangers asked if Max was here and if they could talk to him. I told them that they could and invited them in.

"Would you like some herbal tea?" I asked them before they walked into the kitchen where Max was. He still had a little bit of egg on his small face which only added to his cuteness.

"No thank you," one of the women and the man replied in unison.

"Yes please Sir," the older woman with the red, platted hair replied. The other two gave her a look of disapproval. "Green, if you have it, please."

I nodded my head as I left them alone with Max. I was only on the other side of the kitchen but I couldn't hear them talking over the boiling water and the other noises around me. It didn't take long at all to get the tea ready and was actually quite relaxing. The scent seemed to rejuvenate me into a normal state of happiness.

Tea was just about ready when I heared the man loudly say, "Mr Benson."

I grabbed the tea pot and a tea cup with a usual smile. "Oh sorry."

Then I turned around to see Max staring wide eyed at the floor in horror. His eyes were brimming with tears that were threatening to fall. I immediately rushed over to the table and put the tea pot and cup down.

I kneeled next to the young boy as he looked at me. We were at eye level so I could better understand. My hand reached towards his shoulder and rubbed it gently which made him cry harder.

"Hey, what's wrong?" I asked him.

My mind raced with all the possible things that could be going. Was it what the people had told him? Was he not feeling well? Were they going to take him away from me?! All I knew was that I had to take care of my little boy and not let anyone touch him.

"I-I..... my- Chir-...." he began sobbing more violently and leaned his head into my chest.

"Chirag committed suicide yesterday afternoon after you left the court house," the man explained.

I was in complete shock. I didn't know what to think. This man had abused Max many times but he felt remorse and he apologized. To be honest, I thought he deserved a lot more than two years in jail for hurting Max but I never wished death upon him.