Chapter Four: The Hospital

Can we all just take a moment to appreciate that someone made a gif of Max hugging David. Also David's shocked face is priceless.  MAX IS A PRECIOUS CINNAMON ROLL THAT MUST BE PROTECTED AT ALL COSTS. Hopefully this story isn't too cheesy btw but I personally like my fanfiction pizzas with extra cheese. UwU

Max was lying down on a soft surface as he came to. His body felt so heavy he didn't think he could even move it anything. A numbing pain was present in his nose, right arm and left ankle but his headache was the worst. His head throbbed as he felt his eyebrows knit together in pain. A part of him wanted to go back to sleep and ignore the pain but another part knew that he couldn't.

Something soft and warm was enclosed around his hand, squeezing it slightly. The more Max came to, the more he felt how painful everything was. Max grunted in discomfort which resulted in the thing around his hand getting a bit tighter. 

"Max?" he heard. 

"Uhhhhh," Max groaned in response. Who the fuck was talking to him?

There was a tight pressure around his numb arm and ankle as well as an irritating thing on his nose and wrapped around his head. Everything seemed so quite besides that voice. Light was shining through his eyelids, making him scared to even open them. It wasn't even a sunny day. 

"Max? Are you there buddy?"

David? That was David. 

"Wake up Max," he cooed as Max's hand was being stroked. David was holding  his hand. 

He didn't want to wake up just yet. Everything was too heavy and almost glued to the soft surface, probably a bed. Did Max have to wake up at that moment. 

"Lemme sleep," the boy slurred. Did he really have to do activities when he felt like crap?

The man chuckled to himself for a few seconds before stroking the boy's hair. Max didn't have the energy to slap it away. 

"Stoooop," he whined. 

What had happened anyway? He didn't even remember getting into bed. Max was annoyed at a hike, David was being an idiot, he leaned against a branch, Max pulled him up but then he fell. That was it, the fall. That was the last thing he remembered. 

David put together the final piece of the puzzle Max was groggily trying to solve when he said, "You're in the hospital bud. You fell down the slope remember?"

Max nodded even though he was a bit uncertain. He slowly opened his eyes and was welcomed with a bright light. Everything was a bit too white and blurry, too much to take in. He closed his eyes again and waited for a few seconds before opening them. He was in a white room full of machinery which was a bit uncomfortable. There was his redhead camp counselor next to him, holding his hand with a faint smile. Yep, he was definitely in a hospital. 

"David?" he questioned. "Next time you see an nunst'ble branch hangin' overa cliff don' fuckin' leanon it."

The man nodded his head fondly. "I'm so glad you're okay."

A sharp pain throbbed in his head for a split second as he gave off a little whine. He screwed his eyes shut until it was safe to open them without the ache. 

"Take it easy buddy," he muttered.

"Thank you," Max found himself saying. "I'm glad you're okay too."

His foggy mind didn't even process that wasn't a thing to say to his overly happy camp counselor. 

"No, I should be thanking you," he said softly. "You saved me back there."