Chapter Fourteen- The Morning After

So basically I'm rewriting this bit because it joins up with the last chapter I recently rewrote. The reason I didn't post the two together is because I absolutely hate the way I wrote the last chapter and don't want anyone to read the original version.

Here's what happens in the first half of this chapter; Max and the Quartermaster return to a worried David. Max apologises for leaving and David reassures him that they're going to get through the day no matter what. He then sleeps in the counsellor's cabin for the rest of the night/early morning

He and David have a heart to heart when he wakes up.

I'll get back to rewriting after the HSC (I guess the Australian equivalent of the SATs but not multiple choice)

Max POV (ew I don't like how I used to do that)

Without warning, the man hugged me and put me on his lap. Tears started streaming down his face. He looked as happy as ever. It was a bit annoying when David started to get all teary-eyed all the time. It was also endearing how he would get emotional over something so small as a child saying thanks.

"Why the fuck are you crying?" I sighed. I couldn't help but laugh a bit too.

"I'm just glad you're back," he said.

"I'm glad I'm back."

He started to cry even harder. "The old Max would have never said that. But it's just, I don't know what I would do with myself if something happened to you. You're like a son to me and I don't want you to get hurt o-or worse."

The fragile man then broke out into another fit of sobs, gripping onto my hoodie as of it was going to be snatched away at any moment.

"I'm still the same person Dad- uh David," I explained but it only made him tear up even more.

"Yeah, you were always a sweet little boy behind that apathetic persona," he said as he let go of me and ruffled my hair. He then went to his desk.

Those words stuck with me. No one had ever called me sweet before David, yet alone called me anything that wasn't an insult.

"So you're not mad at me?" I asked him.

"I can't stay mad at you. I understand why you did it, even though it was rash and you weren't thinking. We were both worried about you. You won't do that again will you? Just please?" He asked while giving me puppy-dog eyes. Something about it made it seem like I broke his heart or something.

"Ok," I blurted out without thinking. I usually wouldn't conform that easily but I never wanted to run away from David or Gwen, just the other adults.

David smiled at me. "Gwen might be a little mad though."

I laughed a little. Of course she would be.

As I looked around the room I noticed that my crutches were no where to be seen.

"David," I asked. "Where are my crutches?"

"Well I trust that there won't be any funny business from you but Gwen hid your crutches so you couldn't escape again."

"Shit, that means I can't walk."

"I can carry you," David suggested.

"No way David! That's the most embarrassing thing you could do."

"If you tell people what happened they'll understand. They'll probably think it's embarrassing for you to be carried by the person you hate most and feel a bit sorry for you. They won't think you're some sort of baby."