Prologue

|| You, Me and Penny Green ||

| Prologue |

The clearing was disturbingly calm

The clearing was disturbingly calm. A silence hushed over the foliage and unsuspecting animals resting nearby. Two breathtaking immortals stood within a tall oak tree, hidden in the mass of leafy branches. Her red tresses curled around her flawless face as her speckled eyes narrowed in on a loan deer, grazing the forest grounds.

"It's time..." He muttered supportively.

Iris sighed, she hated this part of what she was. The slaughter of anything, disgusted her - as it should. But she pushed feeding back too far, and now the barely-there-ache, was starting to climb to the forefront of her mind. It was subtle at first. Her throat started tingling, an itchy sensation she couldn't seem to scratch. Then, came the blaze of a thousand suns. It shot up her throat like melted lava, and that's when she knew she couldn't hold it off any longer. She certainly wouldn't risk harming her daughter.

The soothing touch of Edward brought her out of self-loathing, his finger tips ghosting over her cheek tenderly. Iris met his gaze, searching for any indication that this could be avoided. Alas, there was only sympathy in his golden honey orbs. There was no way to get out of this, she was stuck this way.

She recalled how Edward fed earlier, showing her how to do it as he hunted for his mountain lion. He looked so majestic while in his element and although Iris was too shy to admit it, watching him was a turn on in so many levels for herself... though, he most likely heard her thoughts anyway. Iris did as Edward once showed her, relaxing her shoulders as she fluttered her eyelids close. She inhaled and was automatically hit with the deer's herbal scent. Her mouth started to salivate with venom and she grimaced.

One second, she was perched on top of the branch and the next, she was gracefully swinging down. Her body moved fluently, twirling around the branch before landing soundlessly on the soil below her, barefoot.