Chapter 8

~"A friend is someone who knows all about you and still loves you." -Elbert Hubbard~

Moriah's POV

My heart basically stopped beating.  I swear it did.  I should've fallen over dead, right then and there.  I would've known that face anywhere.  He was the face that entered into my dreams every night.  The nightmares that caused me to wake up sweating and out of breath.  Those dark, soulless eyes, tousled dirty-blonde hair, scar on his upper lip.  I could be a very observant person and that night definitely stood out in my memory.

He was walking his dog in the park, as if nothing had ever happened.  As if he had never almost killed me.  He looked up as I screamed and gave me a once over.  His eyes widened in surprise, obviously recognizing me.  He picked up the small dog and began sprinting in the opposite direction.

Marcus immediately got up and began sprinting after him.

"No!  Don't, Marcus!  Stop!" I yelled, futile in my attempts to stop him. 

Marcus' POV

The man took off sprinting.  He had recognized Moriah and heard her scream.  This was the man who had put her through so much pain.  He was the one who deserved to be in the casts right now, living off of morphine and other drugs.  That son of a b*tch!  He wasn't going to get away with this.  I wouldn't let him, if it was the last thing I did.

I sprinted after him, anger fueling my adrenaline.  I heard Moriah screaming behind me, but I blocked her out.  I had one thing on my mind right now.  Him.

He looked over his shoulder and sped up, realizing I was behind him.  He was like 40 years old and I was 17 and healthy.  Plus, he was carrying a dog.  He had no chance.  Still, hot on his trail, I pulled out my iPhone and punched in 911.

"911, what's your emergency?"

Out of breath, I choked out, "Bad guy.  Following him.  Hurt Moriah King like three weeks ago."

"I'm sorry, sir.  What was that?  You're following a bad guy that hurt Moriah King three weeks ago?"

"Yes!"  Could I be any clearer?

I heard clicking of the computer. she must be looking it up.  

"I think I understand.  You say you're following him?  Please stop and leave this to the police, where are you right now?"

"You mean, leave it to the police like I did the night she went missing.  You know your sh*tty police weren't the ones who found her.  I was!  You know what?  F*ck you!"

I hung up.  They weren't going to help me in this.  If they wanted to know where I was, they could just GPS track my cellphone.  I shoved it in my pocket, and focused solely on following the guy.  He was getting too far ahead.  

He darted across the street, causing some cars to slam their brakes.  They honked, loudly and while they were still stopped for him, I crossed the street as well.  More honks were let out.  He darted in the alley way that I found Moriah that night.  Funny, he would pick this alley.

He stuffed his hand into his pocket, pulling out a gold key.  He fumbled with the red door at the back of the alley.  Before he could even get the key in the doorknob, I was on top of him.  I slammed him into the wall behind him, throwing four good punches to the face before he could fully grasp what was going on.  He swung at me but I ducked out of the way, catching him right in the gut.  He spit out blood.  I threw another punch to his face and he slumped to the ground in defeat.  He was crouched on the ground and I added a kick to the stomach for good measure, before pulling out my iPhone again.