Chapter 7

We get to the hospital and Andrew runs in with me still in his arms. Deb and Andrew call for help and a nurse quickly takes us to a room where Andrew sets me down on the bed. A team of nurses and doctors quickly prep me for surgery as a nurse pushes my parents out of the room. They pump me with morphine and put a mask on my face for the anesthetic.

I stay awake for the surgery but I can't feel anything. I lay there with a numb feeling all over my body and unable to move but I know they're fixing up my arm against my will.

They pump new blood into my veins from a bag as they struggle to stop the bleeding. I hear a doctor cussing in frustration. I feel my eyes getting heavier and heavier and the monitors start to alarm.

"Come on, boy, stay with me. Stay with me," a female doctor says. My eyes fall shut but I'm somehow still aware of the doctors shocking me with those paddle things they use to jump start peoples hearts. I feel pain run through me with the shocks and they make my back arch without me controlling it then I go limp. This happens two more times before I take in a sharp breath.

A nurse makes sure I'm still under anesthesia and they carry on with fixing up my arm.

"Siva, please wake up." Someone sobs as they run their fingers through my hair. I open my heavy eye lids and see Deb sitting on a chair next to my bed with her head down as she sobs silently and Andrew sits next to her, comforting her as she runs her fingers through my hair.

"Siva," he says when he catches sight of my open eyes. He has dark circles under his blood shot eyes and worry is etched on his face but it turns to relief.

"Siva, don't ever do that again," Deb says when she puts her head on my chest and she hugs me.

"Why?" I ask. "I'm miserable. Why do you want me to suffer?" I ask her.

"What? Siva, look, I'm sorry about your brother, I truly am but that's no reason to kill yourself," Deb sobs.

"It's not just that. I hate myself. I'm not comfortable in my own skin, or fur," I say.

"Is this about your father?" she asks me. I turn my head the other way as I pull myself up so my back is against the wall behind the bed so I can sit up.

"What would you think of yourself if you were a monster that killed your own father? That's not it, my life is filled with pain. I can never get away from it. I watched my father get mauled, my brother had to kill my mum," I say, my eyes not even tearing.

"Siva, please don't do this to yourself," Deb begs. I just ignore her and keep my eyes cast on my hands in my lap. Someone knocks on the door and it opens. I look up to see a man in a white lab coat.

"Hello, I'm Dr. Needles--no pun intended," he says, chuckling at his own joke but none of us laugh at the balding man. "You must be Mr. and Mrs. Scott?" he asks.

"Oh, no no no, we're Greene's. Siva was adopted," Andrew explains. Dr.Needles nods.

"May I ask how that happened?" he asks.

"Um, his parents died," says Andrew. Dr. Needles nods again and sits on his spinny stool chair thing. He comes over to me on the opposite side of the bed as my parents. He shines a light in my eyes and has me follow it with my eyes, which is kind of hard considering it's a light. For a doctor, he's not very smart, which kind of scares me.

He listens to my heart with his stethoscope. "So is he free to go home, doc?" Andrew asks.

"We should keep him over night for observation and in the morning I want a psychological exam. He should be able to leave by two in the afternoon tomorrow," he answers, using a serious voice. Maybe he isn't as stupid as I thought, just a little... ditzy. Then I realize he said a psychological exam.