Chapter 25

"Breakfast!" someone yells, waking me up. Finally. I feel like if I don't eat soon I'm going to fall over and never get back up. Shawn and I get up and crawl -- too weak to walk -- over to the door where the food sits. Four pieces of bread and two small cups of water sit on a tray. Shawn grabs her two pieces and eats them bite by bite, patiently yet I can see the excitement in her eyes. I pick up one of mine and nibble on it, trying to make it last as long as possible. 

"Hey," I say to Shawn, to get her attention when she finishes her bread. She looks at me. "Have mine," I say pointing to my second one. She shakes her head. 

"Siva, I can't, its you-" 

"Shawn, you're not just feeding yourself," I say, putting my hand on her large and round belly. She sighs and nods slightly. She grabs it and rips it in half as I finish mine. She shoves one of the halves in my hand then she eats the other. "Shawn, eat it," I tell her. She shakes her head and crawls back to the mattress. I sigh and eat it, knowing she'll force me to do so anyway. I drink my warm water and go over to her. I sit with my back and right hip on the wall and she sits next to me, snuggling into my boney side. 

"Siva?" 

"Hm?" 

"What happens when the baby comes?" Shawn asks me. I let my head fall back. 

"I don't know," I say truthfully. "Hopefully we get out before they come." 

"Siva, we've been here for four months, they could come any time now." I sigh again. 

"I know. I know." 

"What about names?" she asks. I smile just slightly. 

"I actually have something in mind," I whisper. She looks up at me. "I really like the name Snow, for a girl or boy." She smiles and nods.

"I like it, too," she replies then gives me a peck on the lips.

"Siva, Siva wake up, please," I hear Shawn whisper urgently. I open my eyes and see her holding her big stomach. 

"What's wrong?" I ask, my voice husky from sleep as I look at her with bleary and tired eyes. 

"I think there's something wrong with Snow," she whisper yells. I sit up and put my hand on her stomach. I can feel him tossing around. She cringes as she clutches the mattress. "I think she's coming," she whispers. I blink, not understanding her words. Then she lets out a squeal of pain, snapping me out of my daze. 

"Okay, okay, deep breaths, Shawn. Uhm," I look around quickly. I glance at the bathroom and back at her scared face. "It's okay, calm down. Just lay down," I say. She nods and lays down slowly and I quickly get up and sprint to the bathroom. I grab the one towel on the rack, hoping it's clean, I quickly wash my hands best I can and rush back in the room to Shawn.

"Okay Shawn, I need you to sit up just a little bit," I say. She shakes her head quickly. 

"I can't move. I can't." 

"Yes you can, I'll help you. Don't worry, I'm going to help you," I say. She nods, still breathing deeply. I help her sit up a bit with her back on the cement wall. "Okay, I-I'm going to check if he's coming," I say nervously. She nods. I pull her underwear to her ankles and my eyes go wide when I see the top of Snow's head. I close my eyes and take a deep breath. "He's coming," I say. She lets out a loud squeal. A contraction, I'm guessing. I take deep breaths to try and keep myself from passing out. "Alright Shawn, I need you to push," I say, getting my hands ready to catch him. 

Suddenly I hear a loud bang. I turn but I don't see the door open. I hear people running and fighting and there's a lot of shouting. "Siva!" Shawn screams. I quickly whip around again and Shawn pushes. 

Ten minutes later I have a baby in my hand crying loudly. I smile at him and look up at Shawn. But she's not smiling. "Whats wrong?" I ask. 

"There's more than one," she says quietly. I look down at her and see a little head. I put Snow down next to Shawn and she pushes. 

Fifteen minutes later there's three babies, two latched onto Shawn for food and Snow in my arms as he sleeps. I watch him as I hold him with one arm and I run my fingers through Shawn's hair.

"So we have two boys and a girl," Shawn says quietly. I nod and give her a small smile. "What are we going to name them?" 

"Well we have Snow here," I say, referring to the little boy in my arms. Suddenly the door bangs open and I hold Snow a bit tighter. I look up and see my da. "Da?" I whisper, not believing who it is. 

"Ah shit," he says. I give him a confused look. "We were hoping to be able to find you before they were born," he says. I nod. 

"They're fine. But we need to go. What did you do with Red Eyes?" I ask him. 

"The guards are chasing him in the woods. When they catch him they're going to kill him," he says. I nod. "Darwin!" Da calls. Darwin comes in the room and quickly shields his eyes. 

"Sorry," he says. I move in front of Shawn. 

"Can you please get some clothes for them?" Da asks Darwin. He nods and walks out. "So, when were they born?" 

"A couple minutes ago," I reply. 

"Did you deliver?" he asks me. I shrug. 

"Kinda." 

"What do you mean?" he asks me. 

"Shawn did all the work. I just got a towel and held my hands out," I reply. 

"You delivered them," Da tells me. Darwin comes in again and hands me a shirt and pants and he hands Shawn a big t-shirt. Darwin take's Snow from my hands and I only let go of him for a second to get on my clothes then I take my son back. That's going to take some getting used to.  

My son. 

"Siva, let's go," Darwin says. I nod and stand up slowly with the help of Darwin. My da just picks up Shawn. I can't even imagine how tired she is. I sway a bit while walking. "Siva, let me take him. I don't want you to fall with him," Darwin says. I shake my head. 

"I'm fine," I say quietly. 

"Siva, Siva, open your eyes," I hear Darwin say, but his voice is fading. A growl somehow bubbles up my throat and I hear Snow and the other babies start crying. "Siva," Darwin says again but it's a mere whisper of the wind, and suddenly I'm falling with a sharp pain in my back and arms.