Chapter 44: The Absol-ute Best

Start from the beginning

Serena knew this as well, with Fantina having taught this point carefully in their Appeals class, but she knew it was worth having Dawn explain it. Sometimes the differences could be a bit confusing, as the Coordinator still needed to be key to the Appeals or Battle round going well. Being a Performer, Serena had been very cautious about her Appeals exam with Absol, knowing that she needed to make sure he was the focus and that she wasn't involved in the same way she usually was. What she was more interested in about, though, was contest battling, remembering the excitement of her screening battle with Braixen.

Dawn knew that Serena and Shauna were both interested in that, though, and immediately looked to the two Pokemon in front of her. "With battles, you're judged similarly, but your moves need to be able to do damage as well. If you only rely on pretty moves, you may gain some ground, but your opponent will be able to wear you down pretty quickly."

"Being so used to performances, that's probably the toughest thing for us," Shauna pointed out. Obviously both she and Serena had some experiences battling at this point, but on the big stage, it would be difficult for both to remember the important differences.

"Well then we might as well practice, right?" Dawn pointed out, backing up to make space between her and the two performers, Vivillon hovering in the air while Piplup held up his flippers in preparation to battle.

"Ohhh I want to go first, is that okay Serena?" Shauna asked excitedly, already pulling out a pokeball. Serena nodded, backing up as she chuckled at Shauna's excitement. She was happy to see Dawn's demonstration with Shauna before trying out a match against the expert herself. "Go Skitty and Ivysaur!" Shauna called out as her two Pokemon emerged.

Dawn looked interested to see what Shauna would do, having already had a few training sessions with her when she'd prepared for her exam with Skitty. Serena knew Dawn would likely win, but she was pretty sure Shauna could pull off a few unique moves. She'd done fairly well with her minor attempts at coordinating so far, so she wasn't completely new to it.

"Okay, let's get started then!" Dawn called out, stepping back enough so there was space between her Pokemon and Shauna's. "You make the first move when you're ready, Shauna!"

"Okay, Ivysaur, use Sweet Scent!" Shauna ordered quickly, clearly excited to get the battle started immediately. "Skitty, when it hits, use Sing!"

Serena was impressed already, seeing Piplup looking a little dazed as the pink dust from Ivysaur's bulb drifted towards Dawn's side of the field, its sweet smell making the Penguin Pokemon lower its guard. Vivillon was clearly ready for it, though, and Dawn wasn't going to let it go on much longer.

"Gust, Vivillon, and Piplup, use Whirlpool when ready!"

As Skitty appeared to be preparing its Sing, Vivillon flapped her wings quickly, a blast of wind shooting forth immediately, sending the Sweet Scent back where it came from. Both Ivysaur and Skitty were too shocked to react, each stumbling from the Gust, before Ivysaur's own attack caused them to become a little dazed, each smiling as they took in the scent. It didn't last too long, however, as Piplup's flippers raised and water began to rapidly swirl above him, before he tossed the vortex forward. It took hold of Shauna's Pokemon, and before she could voice her surprise, her Pokemon were trapped.

"Ivysaur, try to get out with Vine Whip!" Shauna called out, panic in her voice. Serena could see it was no use, though, Ivysaur and Skitty too caught up in trying to stay above the water as it spun them around. Dawn didn't even appear to be done, still preparing to finish off her combination.

"Vivillon, keep using Gust to keep that Whirlpool spinning, and Piplup, hit it with an Ice Beam!"

"Villon!"