Finale: Forever

When I wake up, I find layers and layers of gauze over my chest— and Jungkook asleep on the couch next to the bed I'm lying on.

The wound still hurts, but the sharp bursts of pain from before has reduced itself to a dull ache, letting me know it's still there, and that I did get stabbed a few hours ago.

And that it had hurt so, so much.

I find myself doing two things— tracing the knife wound on my chest and watching Jungkook while doing it. The usual glow in his pale skin has now faded into a darker ashen gray, like he was mentally stressed. Very, very stressed.

He's groaning in his sleep, body twitching with another nightmare. I wonder, with the way his face continues to twist in rage, loosen in pain, and then shift into sorrow, he's reliving something terrible over and over and over again.

Swallowing so I wouldn't cry out in pain, I reach over the bed and wrap my fingers around his palm. A part of my mind thinks that he would pull away by instinct, still revolted with my presence. But the other part knows that he won't.

Then his eyes flutter open.

The minute his alerted gaze meets mine, I watch curiously as his doe eyes widen at least twice the size that they were before. He abandons his chair, crossing the space between us in two quick, large strides.

I drag my gaze to the ground, expecting to be reprimanded. Or scolded. Or yelled at. One of the above, or maybe all of them— I'd hurt him so much that I would take every single hateful word he would throw at me with acceptance.

"Do you know how much you scared me?"

He crushes me against his chest, lifting me clear off the bed with sheer strength. The tone of his voice is surprisingly gentle and soft as he whispers tremulously.

"I thought you were gone. Forever."

"I'm sorry," Burying my head in the crook of his neck and shoulder, I inhale his fragrant scent, my fingers carefully treading the dark locks of his hair. "I never meant to be so awful to you."

He breaks away, giving me an incredulous look. "That's the least important matter right now, Lyr. You got stabbed." His voice grows more and more agitated as he feels my back, where the knife had plunged through the flesh.

"It's not a big deal," I smile faintly, trying not to let the pain that comes with that slight gesture show through. Jungkook would probably make me sleep for another two days if he knew even smiling hurt. "I'm just glad that you're not mad at me anymore."

"You're unbelievable, Lyr. Did you know that?" Blowing out a frustrated breath, he draws me into the warmth of his arms. His face looks pained as I wince at the sudden movement— a spark of reminder blazing down a path of pain down my upper body.

"I think."

At my hesitant reply, he gives a small smile. The worry in his eyes seem more pronounced when he's smiling, like he's not genuinely meaning the gesture of happiness.

"You forgive me?"

"Of course," He says tentatively, drawing me even closer. Then he proceeds to mutter a sentence softly under his breath.

"Although there's really nothing you should be apologizing for."

"Of course there is!" I exclaim, ignoring the strain in my voice. "I was being selfish— I shouldn't have hurt you. I said words that I never meant."

"Then I'm okay with that." Then his expression tightens. "But do you know one thing I'm not okay with? It's you throwing yourself to the wolves, and then coming back with their bite in your heart."

When I grimace at the harsh analogy, he shrugs. "It's not wrong. Next time, Lyr, you tell me everything. No more secrets— and I will keep none from you. Understand?"

Licking my lips, I nod and hug my knees to my chest to preserve warmth. As if he knew this before I even did, he throws a blanket around my shoulders before taking me into his arms.

It feels warm— and all my tension melts away as I lean into his embrace, savoring the pulses of heat emanating from his body. I sense his head tilting towards me, his hair brushing against the skin of my shoulder.

A sudden rush of unnatural courage tingles through my blood, revealing what I'd wanted to do since I'd opened my eyes.

Shifting my body to the side, I tilt my head to press my lips against his. The contact is quick— but certain enough to pass across the message. At my sudden move, surprise masks his body.

But soon, it melts away like ice in fire. He laughs— a bright sound— as he asks in amusement.

"How long did it take you to do that?"

A blush shades my ears as I try to cover the heat climbing up the curve of my neck. "I've been thinking about it."

"How long?"

The red grows a heavier, darker color. My voice seems timid and small as I try not to let the anxiety and embarrassment show through. "Since I woke up."

"Stop teasing me!" I exclaim in annoyance as his laughter grows louder. My brows furrow when I see him gasping for breath, pondering if I should kick him off the bed or not. The idea seemed very tempting until I realize that he'd probably pull me off as well.

He struggles to keep a new wave of laughter down when he sees my face— which is probably the saddest thing he's ever seen in his entire life.

"Don't be sad," He whispers as he brushes his lips across mine. "You're still going to marry me, aren't you?"

The sudden proposal nearly knocks my breath from my lungs. "Where did that come from? You can just be so random, sometimes, Jungkook."

"So will you?"

I look into his eyes, expectant and if I look a bit closer, the slight slash of worry. As if he actually thinks that I'm going to reject him.

"Of course, you idiot bunny."