Pain

Snow crunches underneath my petite feet as I rush towards the gigantic structure of the Main Hall, trying to picture which was the front and back of the humongous building. After a few seconds of hard thinking, I figure that the northern side was probably the back, and southern the front.

When I get to the northern edge, I realize it's a border between the Iliad Forests and a huge wall, stretching out for what seems to be like miles. And once I get there, I hear a smug, proud clapping noise. The sound a prideful father would give his daughter for doing something well.

Also the last sound I wanted to hear from the man who had forced me to hurt Jungkook.

"Very well done, Lyr. I was very—" At his voice, my features twist in disgust and immediately demand. "Get to the point. Where's Leah— what have you done with her? I want to see her now!"

"No worries," the man appears in front of my sight, dressed completely in black with a mask to top off his dreary outfit. It looked like he was going to kill someone— and a chilling feeling in my head tells me that might be me.

"Where is she?"

A smug grin splits his face, before he bursts into amused laughter. "Like I said, no worries. Your darling slave is completely fine— I didn't even touch a single hair on her body!"

My entire body goes slack with realization as two conflicting emotions explode inside my brain. One is pure relief— relief that Leah hadn't had to experience any terror, or anything that could've harmed her or scared her. And the other is stormy, dark regret. I can still picture Jungkook's pained face as I told him words that I would never mean for real.

I've been so stupid.

The masked man notices my shock, definitely enjoying me realize how exactly pathetic I've been. I'd let myself get manipulated so easily that even a child would shake their heads at me. And if he told me to come here, there had to be something he wanted further with me.

Sucking in a breath, I turn on my tails and run as fast as I can.

"No use running, kitten." His voice is suddenly right behind me— and a shock of fear hits my entire body as he pulls me back with a single hand. "It's too late for that now, isn't it?"

Something glitters a malicious silver behind his flashes of black— and my mouth goes dry with terror and panic.

It's a knife, isn't it?

My body feels a million miles away from my mind as I feel my entire figure jerk forward with the sheer force of the knife tearing through where my heart is supposed to be.

Is this the end?

One moment, I actually think that I'm going to die without having to experience any of that horrible thing they call pain. But in the very next instance, I immediately take back my words.

Pain crashes through my entire body, freezing every nerve and tearing each of them apart strip by strip. My chest feels like it's on fire— the pain gets so terrible I scream instinctively.

The scream comes out as a barely audible gurgle, deep in my throat. Instead of the high, shrill tone that was intended to come out, something else trickles out of my lips.

It's thick and red.

Even breathing is an effort I have to make as I collapse to the ground, knife still embedded in the flesh surrounding my heart. Nothing seems like it can break through the heavy cloud in my ears until the masked man shatters the assumption.

Literally.

His scream is so high and loud that for a second, I mistake him as a girl— getting her throat ripped off of her shoulders. It's a scream of so much pain that I can barely imagine how much it took to make someone exclaim like that.

Half dazed, I see something shadow my body— and the following string of curses that makes my voice freeze inside of my throat. I've heard that voice before. I've definitely heard it somewhere....

"Lyrewen— I swear," And then the scene shifts, and then I'm moving. But my legs are still as they were a minute ago, so how...

"If you die, I will kill you."

Jung....kook.

Jungkook.

My Jungkook.

How?

Then the moving stops, and the pain that slices through me makes me gasp for breath. His hold tightens on me as he pounds on something— I think it's a door.

"V hyung! Open up!"

Then the sound of wood creaking, and then the sound of someone screaming in agony. Maybe— I think that might be me.

Then the pain is everywhere and nowhere at once. This is worse than anything I've ever felt— I can practically feel the cold metal of the knife touching my barely-beating heart, scratching the surface every time I breathe.

"Put her on sedatives— this is going to be one heck of a painful surgery if she's not asleep." Tae's collected voice. His surgeon voice— his healer voice. But why does he sound so afraid?

"What do you mean you ran out?!"

Jungkook yells in fury and rage, his demeanor murderous and the most angriest I have ever seen him get. Then I can feel a pair of slender fingers brush over the area of strike, the urgency getting worse with every passing second.

"I have to do this, Jungkook. Right now. Or she won't survive."

Tae's voice is now completely blown out of proportion— the calm in it is now gone, replaced with terror and panic. When his long fingers interlock with mine, I only have so much energy to give a little squeeze to reassure him as best as I can.

He seems to freeze at my gesture, and I can hear Jungkook in the background.

"You want me to strap her down—" A series of curses follow his words as he shouts in pure rage. "What do you want me to do next? Stab her on the other side of her chest?!"

Tae gives me a squeeze back as he addresses Jungkook. "Kook. She needs to be strapped down now. A minute late— she's losing blood too fast, too much." I hear the soft clinks of metal against metal as something flat and rough slides over my ankles and my wrists.

Then pain explodes like fireworks as Tae slides the knife out of my flesh.