For Them

The sickness in my heart gets even worse when I lay my eyes on Jungkook's figure. He's with Shadow, teaching the little boy how to grip a knife properly. Even though it's not a normal brother to brother time, it's Jungkook's way having quality time with Shadow, and the two boys both treasured it.

Oh gosh, what am I going to tell him when he sees me?

Thankfully, I quickly retreat back into the shadows without him seeing me. Jungkook can read me like a book— if he saw me right now, I am one hundred percent certain that he will know something is wrong. Dull just wasn't the word to describe any part of him, including his superhuman instincts. And it seemed like when it came to me, he seemed to be able to know everything.

The only solution I could come up with was either to avoid him, or wear a mask over my face for the rest of my life. Both options sounded immensely unappealing, but it needed to be done.

Unless I wanted either my best friend or the cute younger brother I'd never had before to die.

The thought makes me gag, and a wave of dizziness and nausea washes over me. And I don't think that it's caused by the blood loss.

Trying to take deep breaths, I lean against the wall. My future seems dark. Frustrating. One wrong move, and I can send lives plummeting to their ends. Their futures depended on my actions, and the responsibility was too great for me to handle.

What if I messed up? What if I made a mistake?

Quivering, I decide to skip the meal. Even though I know that if I don't show, Jungkook will suspect something  is up— I couldn't bear to even force a smile after what had happened earlier. It made me too on edge, too sick and revolted.

I couldn't deal with this right now. All I wanted was to lock myself in my room for eternity, unable to look or speak to anyone. At least that way, it was guaranteed that I wouldn't screw anything up, like I always did.

Suddenly, a sharp rap echoes against my door, making my mouth go dry with tension.

"Lyr?"

Lord save me.

It's Jungkook.

"Lyr. Open the door. Why is it locked?" At his tentative question, I wince silently. Maybe if I stayed perfectly silent, then maybe he'd think that I'm sleeping. Maybe he'd leave me alone after that.

I can only hear the furious clicking of the doorknob for a few seconds before the noise suddenly stops.

Did he give up?

But after getting to know him for so long, I should've known better. A moment of tensed silence occurs before Jungkook announces from the other side of the door.

"If you're not going to open the door, fine. And don't pretend you're asleep— I can hear you gasping from all the way here." When he says that, I immediately clap my hand over my lips to cut off the involuntary sound I'd been making.

"Like I said. If you won't open it yourself," Another angry shake of the doorknob I'm starting to feel a bit sorry for.

"I'll break this door down myself."

Oh Lord.

"Okay!" I squeak out frantically as I jump down from my bed, hurrying for the door. "Please don't break it down— I'm coming!"