Gowns and Dresses

"This is stupid. Remind me why slaves have to go to this ball dance thing or whatever?"

Leah rolls her eyes at me as she weaves the two strands of velvet into a spectacular crisscross pattern down my exposed back. I would've fallen in love with the elegant design if I hadn't known that many other people would get a chance to admire it as well.

"Will you be quiet, Lyr? You've asked that question like a million times already— I told you, slaves have to be there to serve the other nobility. It's a requirement by the Gens rules."

"Well, it's a dumb rule."

She gives an exasperated sigh behind me as she fits the rest of the flowing blue dress around my curves.

"Can you just keep your opinions to yourself? If anyone hears you calling the Ancient Rules stupid, they'll probably give you a public execution."

When Leah steps away to admire her work, I struggle to even stand in the five inch heels she gave me to wear.

"Tell me how I'm supposed to walk around in these toothpick shoes. Wait," My heart stops as I feel my leg freely go out from the side of the dress.

"This dress has a slit?!"

Leah nods, struggling to hold her laughter in. She sports the same kind of dress as me, although it seems to fit her more better. That's probably because she's actually excited to go to this event.

"Chill out, Lyr. You'll meet a lot of new, handsome people there— Gens Dark isn't filled with ugly, gigantic people— there's also beautiful ones as well."

I make a face at her as she smirks at me. "I don't want to meet new people."

She pretends she doesn't hear me as she tucks a strand of loose hair back behind her pixie ears.

"Although," her smile widens as she examines her perfectly trimmed nails. "None of them are as handsome as the Young Masters."

Even though the last thing I want to do is to blush at that statement, a slight red softly colors my pale cheeks.

I knew their beauty firsthand— I'd had many chances to examine Jungkook and Shadow's features during the time I'd been here, and a person would have to be blind to deny Leah's statement.

For the entire time after that, I let myself keep quiet as Leah helps me braid a part of my hair down the middle, leaving the other strands to fall in beautiful waves over my shoulders.

"Don't worry, Lyr. You look absolutely enchanting. And did you know?" She winks at me from the side of her face.

"Blue is his favorite color. It matches his eyes."

I scoff, my blush growing a bit. "Dream on, Leah. He doesn't go head over heels for anything."

But I can't help but feel beautiful as I head out to the front with Leah. For some reason, I think I want him to give me some kind of reaction. For some reason, I want him to tell me I'm beautiful— which is probably not going to happen in a million years.

Shadow is dressed cutely in a small tuxedo, mirroring his tall brother that holds him up with one of his arms.

The simple, elegant suit compliments Jungkook's broad shoulders and slender, yet muscular figure. His eyes quickly skip past my body, and then Leah's. Then he draws his eyes away, just like that.

That's it?

I can't help but feel disappointed at the lack of emotion. But I hurriedly brush the thought away— what had I expected?

That he was going to start blushing like an idiot? He's seen way more prettier girls than me and hasn't shown a single sign. Why should he do any different towards me?

"Let's go. The event has already begun in the Main Hall."

I nod and start to follow when Shadow starts to giggle. "Big brother is blus—"

Jungkook clamps his brother's mouth close and quickly hisses something into Shadow's ear. It's so soft I don't catch what he says, but judging from his urgent expression, I can tell it's nothing good.

Then I see it.

A red blush coloring the skin of his right cheek, only growing wider as he risks a quick glance in my direction. Within a second, he wrenches his head back straight, his hand still tightly clamped around Shadow's lips.

That's probably because Shadow's innocent, young mind is like a bomb ready to blow.

The small child giggles against his brother's hand as the said brother rushes out of the palace before the younger can do anything destructive further.

When we're all outside, I instinctively draw my cloak tighter around myself. Even though it's been months since it happened, I still haven't forgotten the freezing experience I'd had with the man who was now long dead.

Then something warm settles onto my shoulders, making me look up in surprise.

It's Jungkook— he's thrown his suit jacket around my body, a knowing look carved into his deep blue eyes. The color is more darker today than it usually is.

"Thank you." I say shyly while tilting my head up to stare into his eyes. It's been so long since I'd gotten to know him and I still couldn't get over the sheer enchantment of his beauty.

He places a comforting hand on my shoulder, sending a shiver of pleasure down my spine. This is unusual— he normally refrains from touching me as much as possible.

I think he remembers the incident as well, and he is taking pity on me.

But I don't want to be pitied upon. I don't want to be looked at like that.

But I was wrong—it turns out not to be pity at all.

He leans down so his eye level is parallel with mine, and tilts his head so his lips are inches from my ear. At this point, my entire body is frozen not with the cold, but with heat instead.

Then he whispers something that is so soft I almost don't catch the sweet words that I hadn't been aware that Jungkook was capable of.

"You look good in blue, Lyr."

With all due respect, I just hadn't thought flattery was possible for him.

But Jungkook doesn't flatter— he speaks from his heart, and he means every single word that comes out of his mouth.

So does that mean he thinks I look beautiful today?