Negative

As soon as we go into the infirmary, I crane my head over Tae's broad shoulders to check on Jungkook's condition. Did he get better?

Did he get worse?

Before I can even look over, a gigantic hand claps over my entire face. Not only does it cover my line of sight, it covers my nose, my lips, my jaw, everything. This hand is miraculously larger than Jungkook's, and I don't doubt that it could clasp over my entire head with ease.

"Don't look."

The moment he says that, the sharp, metallic tang of blood pierces my nose. In an instant, the powerful smell wraps around my senses, making my eyes water uncontrollably. I don't need someone to tell me it's Jungkook's blood— I'm not that dumb.

"I'm fine," I grip his hand with two of mine and slowly edge it away from my view. "I promise I won't freak out."

"That's not what I'm worried about." Tae mutters under his breath, but I pretend not to hear his words as I shift the rest of his hand forcefully. I know I'm being rash, but curiosity drives me insane if I don't know.

And I need to know.

When I open my eyes, my arms drop to my sides limply as I take in the gruesome picture set out in front of me. The first thing I see is red as medics desperately attempt to staunch the continuous flow of blood that hasn't showed any signs of stopping from a few minutes ago. From the major blood loss, his face is deathly pale and his hair is streaked with signs of perspiration. Covering his lips is some sort of breathing mask, which I'm certain is life support.

Oh Lord

Oh Lord.

One of the medics to my right makes me flinch in surprise as he slams down a receiver in anger and frustration. Despite my numbness the entire time, I manage to get a few words out of my frozen mouth.

"What's the problem?"

He shoots an annoyed glare at me, and I instantly shrink down to half of my size. Maybe I should've never asked.

Then his eyes flicker to something behind me and it widens so fast that I wonder if something happened to his patient.

I don't know what made the man change his attitude towards me so fast, but I'm not about to complain as he quickly answers my question.

"We need a blood donor for the patient, but he has such a rare blood type that we can't find anyone that matches willing to donate. And he only has a few minutes to live if he keeps losing blood this fast."

From the corner of my eye, I see Tae going ashen pale as he grips the bloodstained material of his battle armor. I'm pretty sure I'm not much better as fear clouds my brain.

Focus, Lyr!

"What's the blood type?"

He looks at me with a hopeless light, his eyes shifting the slightest from me to Tae and back. Now I'm certain that it was Tae that changed his mind in talking to me.

"AB-Negative."

My eyes go wide as a memory flashes through my brain. I remember having a blood test just once, when I was the age of twelve. It was the only time I let someone stick a needle in me, because it was required to officially become part of Gens Light.

My eyes crinkle into concentrated crescents as I shut my eyes tightly. I remember the AB part, but I couldn't remember whether I was positive or negative.

But I don't have time. Jungkook's chances of life are leaking away, bit by bit, for every second I waste thinking.

"Check mine."

The medic's eyes go a bit wide as he nods uncertainly to my command. Hope lights up Tae's eyes, and I want to tell him that I'm not sure, I'm not certain of anything. But he looks so hopeful— how could anyone possibly take that away from him unless they didn't have a thing called a heart?

I swallow a bit as I see the metallic glint of the needle, the point sharp and deadly. I can just picture the tip sink into my skin—

Shush. I need to do this.

Trying to ignore the needle, I shut my eyes as the medic plunges the end into the skin of my forearm. Quickly, he turns to the computer beeping Jungkook's weak heartbeat to check the results.

Please.

Behind the medic's back, I can see the slow rise and fall of Jungkook's heart. The ridges and curves get more flatter with every second, and I tap my feet in impatience.

Hurry!

Meanwhile, Tae has gone to tend to Jungkook himself, obviously disapproving the work of the other medics. After all, he was considered the best healer in the entire Gens.

When I shift my eyes back to the medic, I see his shoulders hunch in shock. I'm not sure about the inferred emotion until he turns and I confirm it on his features.

"You're an approved donor."

I can't help but let out an excited squeal as he quickly prepares me for blood transfer, which unfortunately meant more needles and more panic attacks. But I'm so relieved that I only half notice the fear and sting as the needle bites into my skin.

Tae shoots me a bright, boxy smile, obviously having overheard the medic confirm my blood type. Not knowing what else to do, I grin back as wide as I can.

"Initiating blood transfusion."

I watch in curiosity as another medic presses a couple buttons, so fast I'm worried he might've pressed some wrong ones as well. But then my attention is snatched away with my blood, filling the transparent tube connected to Jungkook's own body.

"Begin operation." Tae has taken over authority, his hand already gripping a scalpel. The trembling in his body earlier is no longer there— as a skilled healer, he is more aware than anyone he must be calm. Composed. One mistake and a life could pay for that.

Jungkook's life could pay for that