Slave

"Jungkook!"

My lips curve into a faint smile as I see Shadow appear around the corner of the gigantic palace. Some color is back to his skin, and he looks healthy enough to be able to run. Last time I'd seen him, he couldn't even stand without collapsing.

Then the boy's eyes land on me.

At the mere six year old's penetrating gaze, I want nothing else but to shrivel up into ash in fire. I'd never thought I'd ever care much about what a boy would think about me, but right now, our roles have been completely reversed. Now I'm the one in tattered clothing, shivering from the cold outside. Now I'm the one with my freedom snatched away, prisoned helplessly in the Palace of the Darks.

The instant his eyes land on me, he turns an accusing finger to his stone faced brother. Now that the dirt and blood is gone from Shadow's skin, I could see the resemblance between the two. Even though their attitudes were polar opposites, they could pass for twins if Shadow was older.

"Why do you have her like that?"

Jungkook tilts his head at his little brother and runs his fingers through his hair before answering stiffly. "Are you not satisfied, little brother? Shall I burn her with fire and carve her skin with iron?"

What kind of a psychopath was he?

A horrified look passes on the little boy's eyes as he shakes his head furiously. "No! I meant to let her go. Don't you understand? She helped me, hyung. If it wasn't for her, then I'd have died hours ago."

"You know I can't do that. Isn't it enough that I haven't killed her yet?"

Shadow glances at me again and I try to flash a reassuring smile at him. Even though anybody in my position would try to use his compassion and kindness to escape from this hellhole, it didn't feel right doing that. I didn't want to use him. I didn't want to use anybody. If I was going to get out of here, I'd do it all by myself.

"Then what's going to happen to her?"

At Shadow's demand, Jungkook doesn't meet his brother's eye as he brushes past him with me in his hands.

"Slave."

At the word, Shadow's face crumples into a terrified mess. I don't see what happens next because Jungkook drags me into a chamber filled with the sounds of clanking dishes and running water. The moment the door closes behind us, several pairs of curious eyes transfix on me and him.

"New slave. Take care of her."

With that, he just leaves, in and out of the room faster than I could blink. Immediately my first reaction is to curse him out, and I do exactly that. The harsh words I mutter under my breath make me feel better, at least.

A girl in a maid's apron smiles a bit and nods at the older woman, whose face is frozen with shock and fear. I'm still wondering what she was so scared about when the younger girl skips towards me, a soup ladle still in her calloused hand.

"Don't worry," she giggles a bit. "Maria is just a bit scared that the young master would hear you badmouth him. He hears things he shouldn't, you know."

"I don't care if he does."

At my bold words, she explodes into a fit of giggles again, ignoring the killer stare Maria is giving her. "My name's Leah. What's yours?"

"Lyr Dawn."

Her hand immediately claps over her gaping mouth as she whispers in shock. "You're from Gens Light, and the Young Master hasn't killed you yet?"

Sarcasm fills my voice as I purse my lips together. "He hasn't exactly been nice to me, no."

"Lyr, he hasn't touched a Light in ages, because he thinks that their skin is revolting. And do you know what his favorite hobby is?"

I guess hesitantly. "Uh..he doesn't have one?"

Leah shakes her head so hard that I worry that she's going to hurt herself. "No, Lyr. It's killing Lights, and he always comes up with different, creative ways to get rid of each one. Every one of his methods require two things: excruciating pain and a slow, slow death."

What the....

Then Maria's sharp voice cuts through Leah's heated conversation. "Leah! Stop your useless chatter and come help me with the carrots. New girl, you can take the young masters' dinners to each of them. Make sure you get it there fast— Master Jungkook doesn't accept cold foods."

Leah shoots me an apologetic look as she heads over to the piles of carrots, waiting to be skinned and sliced for the next meal. As I'm handed two lavish platters filled to the brim with food, I look at the cook in surprise.

"They eat all of this?"

"Just take it to them, girl. Do you question everything around you?"

I nod apologetically and head out of the kitchen with the heavy silver trays. I'm careful not to drop them— that would be the end of my sad, worthless life.

With a smile curving my lips, I knock two times on Shadow's door, my smile only getting wider as I hear a rapid patter of footsteps.

When he opens the door, Shadow smiles widely at me and the plate of food. "Thank you, Noona!"

I raise my eyebrows at the nickname that Jungkook would probably skin me alive if he heard. "I'm not your Noona."

He sticks out his tongue at me, crossing his arms in a playful, childish manner that I can't help but giggle at. "Too bad, then."

When I turn to leave, he reaches for my sleeve. "Eat with me?"

You have no idea how much I want to.

"I can't. I have to get this to your older brother. He has to eat too, you know."

Shadow's lips curl into a frown when I mention his brother. "Big brother has been a little off lately. I don't know why, but... just please, don't be so hard on him. I know you think he's a terrible person, but he's really not once you get to know him."

He's so cute when he tries to be serious. I ruffle his hair as I smile. "Thanks for the advice, Shadow. I'll keep it in mind."

I left the room happy not knowing what would happen to me only a few minutes later.