Challenge

It takes four security men to wake the guy up, and they'd had to use megaphones— two, actually— in each ear. By the time he'd woken, I'd expected him to find out that each of his ears were bleeding, but instead, he'd woken up like a normal person, awoken by a simple alarm clock and not four megaphones.

Somehow, I can't find myself being able to dislike this Chosen named Suga.
He was just so intriguing, with his lazy demeanor and this aura that comes around him when he wants it to be.

"You've been Challenged," the speaker nearly spits at him, his nose wrinkled in disgust. "Do you accept or not?"

Rubbing in his eyes in the most laziest way possible, he nods slowly. From the corner of my eye, I can see the Challenger's face flush in anger at the lack of reaction the guy shows— I think he wanted more than just a convenient nod.

"Which weapon shall you choose?"

The moment he hears the word weapon, his eyes light up like fireworks as he flexes his slender, milky white fingers. A devilish grin paints his lips as he nods at the Challenger.

"Give me two knives. Double blade— and sharpen them, will you?"

Yup, already the happy look on his face and his anxious voice convinces me that he's not what he seems.

And by anxious, I mean anxious to have his opponent trampled under his foot, of course.

The Challenger asks for a heavy axe, specifically with a gold-carved handle and sapphire decorated blade. He flexes his muscles as if he could handle the man in a quick minute, obviously boasting every chance he gets.

So annoying.

When the weapons are brought out, Suga grins a gummy smile as he brushes the tips of his fingers against the smooth surface of the handle. As he lifts the dual knives from the velvet cushion, a servant steps out with something I recognize too well—

A bowl filled with kohl.

Still remembering my embarrassing incident associated with that black powder, I grumble to myself. I couldn't say that I was exactly happy seeing that again.

"What's up with you guys and kohl, huh?" I ask, brushing away the strand of hair that had escaped the braid behind my back.

Jungkook shrugs nonchalantly at my inquiry. "It's a tradition, I suppose. Usually in the important events, you can count on it to see something like kohl."

The aura of menace that had been hiding behind his wide kid smile reveals itself when he opens his kohl-ringed eyes

The aura of menace that had been hiding behind his wide kid smile reveals itself when he opens his kohl-ringed eyes. When he gives a flat stare at the Challenger, I can tell that the guy is trying his hardest not to flinch at the amount of bloodlust in the simple eye contact.

"Let the games begi—"

Even before the speaker finishes the sentence, Suga draws both of his knives and darts at the man with inhuman speed. My eyes widen as he disappears from his position in a mere second, and in the next, his knife flashing and his eyes blazing.

The man barely has time to stumble back as Suga appears right in front of him, slashing his knives upwards. I see a flash of pain cross his face as a red cut shows itself on his forearm.

He hadn't moved fast enough— he couldn't move fast enough.

The man's eyes widen at the realization that this man in front of him was no ordinary warrior. He was smart enough to realize that he was going to be the one that would die today.

Immediately, he opens his mouth to plead for mercy. At the sorry sight, I feel sympathetic for the Challenger, who only had four seconds to live, max.

He doesn't have time to open his mouth— I see Suga's lips purse, his pupils darkening until they were darker than night itself. In my peripheral vision, I see the right corner of Jungkook's lip lift in anticipation. Those signs are enough to tell me that Suga is going to strike, and he's going to strike now.

As soon as I see the first flash of silver, I shut my eyes as tight as they'd go and shove two of my fingers into my ears. I didn't want to see someone's head get chopped off, or some other body part— even thinking about it revolted me. If I saw it right in front of my eyes, or if I heard the sickening sound of blade meeting flesh, then I'd probably faint like an idiot, and stay that way until I hopefully die.

I feel Jungkook shift beside me as I feel his gaze on my covered face, immediately making a humiliated shade of red bloom upon my skin.

Great.

Now Jungkook thinks I'm some coward.

Squeezing my eyes shut even tighter, I brace for his amused laughter or even mocking words, but it never comes. Instead, I feel his eyes shift off of me and hands replace his attention, as he turns my head to face him instead of the battle arena.

"Shh— it's over."

Already? I look around in instinctive curiosity, eyes and ears uncovered and unprotected. I don't even get to turn half of the way before Jungkook's hands slam into my shoulders and twist me back around like a ballerina.

"I thought you didn't want to see the blood," he says, dark eyes even darker as he looks down at my surprised expression.

"Yes." I manage to stutter out, trying to get the entrancing hold that sheer curiosity had around my brain. If Jungkook hadn't stopped me, who knew what could've happened?

"Thank you."

He nods in reply as he fixes his stare at the arena behind me. "Now you can look if you want, unless you're afraid of blood."

By the time he says this, I'm already embarrassed enough that he had to comfort me like this. So even though I'm kind of squeamish for blood as well, of course I shake my head— what else am I supposed to do?

When I turn for the second time, I hear a sigh emanate from his lips and feel hands pull me back again. 

"You don't have to be obliged to lie to me, Lyr."

"What?" I casually stretch out the word, giggling nervously and trying not to let the anxiety show. For a second, I think that he bought my pitiful act. The next, he proves me wrong by laughing himself.

Then my body goes still as the speaker calls out, his voice echoing off the hollow walls of the Hall.

"And now will all the Heads please come forward?"