Kate's Riddle

~Kate~

How can you be so frustrated around someone, but long for their presence? How can you know how dangerous someone is, yet feel completely safe around them? I think I am going insane. I take a deep breath, trying to stay calm as I think about the last few days. I actually enjoyed talking to Edward, even letting him become closer. How could you let him kiss you, he has the upper hand now? I hear my inner voice question, making me take a deep breath. If anything it secured my safety. I lost track of the days I've been in Arkham months ago, but by how chilly Arkham's has become I assume it's at least fall. No one celebrates Holidays in Arkham, nor was there a calendar to let me know how close I was until I completed my mission. Between that and my mind infatuated with Edward I found myself slightly upset. Time is ticking, slipping by faster and faster because of his distraction.

If he likes you maybe you can convince him to let you help with the summit. But how much time do I have left until the event is here? I groan, hitting my head back on the pillow as I toss about.

A week ago I had a dream that scared me dearly, the images lingered in the back of my mind to haunt me.

Dick came to visit Arkham, as Nightwing, and viewed me as one of the inmates. He had forgotten about me, or had no clue I existed in the first place. From my cell I begged him, telling him I wasn't like them. I wasn't like these criminals. At the time I believed my nightmare was real. The scene shifted dramatically like I woke up. I saw myself in Arkham with Dr.Quinzel staring down at me, two guards strapping a straight jacket across my chest. Once again I found myself begging them to step, struggling against the guards and crying out for help. I found myself in being placed in solitary confinement. The last place in the world I want to be. I remember pleading for her to call Batman, to call Mr.Wayne or someone to help me when she shut the door in my face. I pleaded for dick to help, but he was far in the distance. I said they know I'm not crazy and pointed to Batman and Robin.

That's when things got even more real. I can't even describe how much I believed this to be true. The images before me convinced me I had woken up yet again, back in my cell. Since it was the third time I was hesitant, but everything felt so real. Edward stood before me, his grip strong on me. I begged him to tell everyone I didn't do it, knowing it was he who manipulated into causing the whole convention to explore. The news had painted me as the master mine. I wasn't a criminal, I tried to say that. What freaked me out was Edward said he knew. He knew all about my little plan so he drove me crazy and framed me for all those innocent lives being taken. I remember telling the police, I went to Arkham to save people, not to get more people hurt. I would not hurt other people.

One last thing happened that night, a dramatic shift which rarely occurred in my dream. The reason Ed framed me so I would stay which was shown as Edward tried to calm me down, like being at Arkham wasn't so bad. We almost kissed when I had another dream, one much more peaceful. It was like he saved me from my nightmare and stayed with me until I found a dream that put me at peace.

The question haunts me. Why did he appeared, trying to comfort me like he was the hero in my story? He is no hero. He is a criminal. Yet the dream ended with him of all people comforting me.

I open my eyes to notice Edward leaving his cell, I pretend not to notice as I turn to my side, acting restless in my sleep. I hear his footstep stop outside my cell as if double checking before carrying on. Where was he going?

It had to be something to do with the summit. I look around, most of the hallway was either asleep or gone as well. I take a deep breath, finally. I relax, pulling my hair back. Real or not, I am going to find out some information. I turn invisible, slipping out of my cell. Thanks to Edward constantly leaving, I figured out how to hack the lock system. All I use is a simple metal utensil I stole from the lunchroom to pick the lock. Note to self: once this mission is over to have Arkham upgrade their locks.