Ch 20: Nightmare

Kelly walked out of the house and took a deep breath. She began walking down the street, but as she walked, she began to feel uneasy. For four years, she had been outside a total of five times, this being her sixth.

First, when she was brought to her first auction, second when she was brought to her second, third when she was hit by the car, fourth when she left the hospital, and fifth when she was bought and brought to Derek. She was jumpy and only grew worse as she walked. Every sound turned her head, and every person that walked by, she watched closely with wide, scared eyes. She didn't know what to do, but she knew she needed help. She mustered up all her courage and walked up to a woman who was walking with her children.

"Excuse me, can you please tell me where I am?"

The woman looked at her as if she were crazy, "Um...You're in North Carolina. Charlotte is the closest city..."

Kelly thought hard about her geography, "That's almost...five states away from New York?"

"Depending which way you go, around three," the woman answered, staring questioningly at her.

"Thank you, Ma'am."

She began walking away, but the woman stopped her, "Excuse me, miss, but where are you going?"

"To New York. I need to find my friend."

"The weather is too cold to walk any longer, come stay with me for a night. I'll help you get a cab tomorrow."

Kelly smiled at the motherly instincts this woman richly had and thanked her, walking a ways behind her, but following surely. The woman would glance back to make sure she was still following, and each time, she'd notice Kelly's shifty eyes and twitching, shaking hands. She began to worry hat she was harboring a fugitive, but she acted casual just the same. She reached her home and her kids obediently went off to prepare some dinner and wait for her. She helped Kelly find some warm clothes and set her up on the couch.

"Sorry, it's not much, but--"

"It's perfect. Compared to where I've been sleeping, it's heaven on earth, believe me."

"Where exactly HAVE you been sleeping?" she asked, uneasily.

"It's a long story--"

"We have time," she said quickly.

Kelly noticed how nervous she was and stated, "I'm not dangerous, I'm not a criminal. I'm the victim if human trafficking. I've been through a lot and I just need to find my friend so he can help me get home to my family. I'm sorry if I make you nervous, but it's the truth," she rambled.

The woman smiled, sighing in relief, "No problem at all, you poor dear, Is there anything I can do to help?"

"Just a bed and some food is fine," Kelly answered, "Not right now, but maybe some in the morning?"

"Alright...Would you like me to send my brother with you? He's coming to visit tomorrow, but I'm sure he wouldn't mind."

"I-I'd rather not be with a man right now..." she said quietly, her voice trailing off.

"Of course. But...I CAN vouch for him. He's a good man. But if you don't feel safe, I can have him stay with the kids and I'll accompany you?"

Kelly paused, watching the woman carefully, "W-Why are you doing this?" she asked.

"Doing what?"

"Offering to accompany me all the way to New York?"

She took a breath, "Because...My eldest daughter was kidnapped and put into that system. She died before she got home. The police found her body in a drug house..."