Ch 12: Trust

"Is she awake yet?"

"Yes, sir, she's been awake for a couple hours."

"May I...?"

"Of course, you know the way."

Peter smiled at the receptionist as he left, walking the long, bleak hallways to reach Kelly's room. He knocked and entered slowly so as not to frighten her.

"Good morning, Kelly, how are you?"

"Fine. Who are you again?"

"I'm the man that saved you. My name is Peter Jefferys."

"Peter, right...so...you 'saved' me? What do you mean?"

"That man...the one that kidnapped you...I saved you from him. He's gone forever, Kelly. He's gone and he's never coming back."

Kelly looked stunned at finally realizing this. She stared at nothing for a few minutes as her eyes welled up with tears.

"I--I...." her voice trailed off to a hoarse whisper, "I can't be free..."

"What do you mean?"

She shook her head, "I can't."

Peter sat with her all day, allowing her to get used to his company. He told her she could go home when she was ready.

"I can't go back."

"Why not?"

"Mom will never forgive me."

"Why?"

"Because..."

Peter was frustrated that she wouldn't answer him, but he didn't want to push her, so instead he left her room. He found her doctor and asked, "What's wrong with Kelly?"

"What do you mean?"

"She says her mother will never forgive her. Why?"

"So she hasn't told you yet?"

"No. What's wrong? Tell me."

"You know she's been living with a sexual harasser and she's been raped who knows how many times--"

"I know, but what's wrong?"

"Her daily examination showed signs of life. We think she may be pregnant, and it's his."

Peter dropped his head onto the receptionist desk, scratching his head, "What the hell. What the bloody hell. Why can't she abort it?"

"It's too soon to tell."

"So she doesn't want to go home until she aborts it?"

"No. Which may be another month..."

He lifted his head and stared at the doctor, "What do YOU think?"

"It's not my place to say--"

"Tell me."

"I think she should go home, talk to her family, see what they think and if she so desires, she can go through with it there."

"So she should go home? Why would she want to keep it? It would only remind her of all the pain."

"It's true, but, it is an innocent life that--"

"No, stop. It's okay. I'll go talk to her."

The doctor nodded and Peter headed slowly back to Kelly's room. He found her flipping through TV channels mindlessly, zoning out and not really paying attention.

"Kelly?"

"Hm?"

"I saw your doctor just now..."

"Hm," she mumbled again, "So I guess you know my secret now. What are you gonna do? Convince me to keep it?"

"No. I'm not going to convince you to do anything. All I want you to do is trust me."

He walked slowly forward and held out his hand, "Will you do that for me?"

Kelly was scared at his intimidatingly slow pace and pushed herself away from him by sinking further into her bed, "Go away!" she screamed, "Don't touch me!"

Peter went forward faster, taking her hand, "Don't you see? I'm not going to hurt you, please, Kelly, trust me."

She screamed and hyperventilated until doctors and security came and dragged Peter out of the room. She was sedated yet again and had only nightmares of the past two and a half years of her life. Years filled with pain, agony, scars, and abuse. Years that she would never get over without proper help. Help that could only come from trusting someone.