Ch 41: Tough

Kelly spent a few days at Trace's house with him and his wife, getting to know Jennifer and Kelly Jr. She mostly just didn't want to leave Trace again, but soon, her responsibilities would catchup with her and she'd be needed back at Home.

        While she was gone, Tabitha, Laura, and Francine helped run things. They helped clean, cook, and watch the kids so moms could nap. One day, during a naptime while the girls were cleaning up, Wesley went into the kitchen to get a sandwich.

        "Oh, don't bother, I'll do it," Francine said with a smile.

        "Thank you, pretty lady," he said kindly, smiling back at her. He went and stood out of the way while he watched Franicne make a sandwich.

        "Did you hear Tommy today?" Tabitha asked, making conversation, "He said he really missed Kelly. She's such an angel to them, and she loves them all, even Mikey, who's a pain in the ass sometimes."

        "I know! I mean, he's not THAT bad, given his past with his dad and all, but he is a hardship, but I've seen her give him special attention before--like, letting him stay up late, or reading books to him or something," Laura put in.

        Francine finished the sandwich and held out a plate towards Wesley. He looked up from his cell phone and made eye contact, then smiled and said, "You can just set it there, I have to use the bathroom first."

        Francine paused, but nodded and set it down on the table. Wesley took his leave and while he was gone, Francine turned to Laura and Tabitha, "Is it just me, or does he act funny?"

        "What do you mean?" Laura asked.

        "He didn't take the plate from me...and when I met him a few days ago, he didn't shake my hand in greeting. I held my hand out for a few seconds, but he just smiled and said hello..."

        "That's just how he is," Tabitha said, "Not exactly sure why, but he's been that way as long as we've been doing this."

        Fred shrugged, getting back to drying the dishes.

        A while later, when everyone was sortof doing their own thing, Francine was just wandering about when she accidentally bumped into someone.

        "I'm sorry, I wasn't looking where I was going--"

        "I am SO sorry," Wes interrupted, "Are you alright?"

        "I--I'm fine, I just walked into you, Wes, it's no big deal..."

        He stepped a slight step away and looked her in the eyes, maintaining direct eye contact, "Are you sure you're alright? I was replying to a text and just stopped walking, I should have moved aside--"

        "Wesley!" Fred interrupted, "I'm fine. I bumped into YOU. Why are you--"

        "What?" Wes asked when Francine suddenly stopped talking.

        She studied his face for a few minutes, then asked, "Why don't you touch people? Like, when we met, you didn't shake my hand, or--or when I was handing you the sandwich, you didn't want to take it..."

        Wes paused, his eyes falling from her gaze and looking at the opposite wall for a second, just as he was about to say something, Laura came by, "Oh, hey you two. Can I borrow Francine for just a minute?"

        "Y-Yeah, of course," Wes said, "I was just going anyway."

        Francine sighed as he walked away, then followed Laura upstairs to help bathe a particularly squirmy toddler.