Ch 32: Terrors

"What did she mean, 'daughter'? And why did she call you Tyler?"

        "It's a long story, Peter--"

        "Well, it seems we have time," Peter said, looking around the rather crowded emergency room at the local hospital. He had offered to drive Tyler so their mother could attempt to console Marie.

        Tyler sighed a long, slow sigh and began, "It all started about sixteen years ago. My mom was married to a man named Mark--he's mine and Marie's father--and he seemed to be kind, fair, and happy while we grew up. He had had a troubled past, with an abusive father and no mother, so mom knew he sometimes drank on certain anniversaries, so she wasn't surprised when she came home to find him drunk one night. She just shut the door of his study and left him alone to drink away his pain.

        "A while later, she sent me in to tell him dinner was ready. The room smelled foul, like puke and beer mixed with cigarette smoke. When I came into the room, he just stared at me, blankly. I was afraid, so I ran out, shutting the door behind me. The next day, he seemed to be sobered, but mom was still worried, so she left him alone while she drove us to school, then went to work.

        "Marie had gotten sick from some cafiteria food that day, so dad had to pick her up early from school. When he got her home, he lay her on the couch and gave her crackers and water. Instead of leaving her be to watch television, he sat in tha armchair and stared at her. She got nervous, so she asked what was wrong. He began to tell her of the time his father beat his mother to death in front of him, and that's why he drank--on the anniversary of his mother's death--he told her he vowed to be nothing like his father, but as he grew older, he was beginning to notice similarities..."

        Peter listened intently, unblinking and barely breathing, afraid of what he guessed was coming next.

        "Anyway, he ended up telling her that his father had brought home a girl, after beating his mother to death, and made him watch him while he raped her. He told him this was how you got over pain..."

        "That's terrible," Peter breahted, "I can't even imagine--"

        Tyler nodded, clearing his throat that was developing a lump so sore, it hurt when he breathed.

        "He told Marie that he had to get over the pain of losing his mother, and since mom wasn't home, he'd use the next best thing...so...he--right on the couch, he--" Tyler's voice cracked at the memory and he worked hard to clear his throat and continue, "When mom and I got home, dad was gone, the door was left open, and Marie was on the couch, bleeding and naked. Nine months later, Kelly was born...Marie was only thirteen. Mom promised to raise Kelly and pretend she was hers, and so, we all kept the secret. My father never came back, and mom raised Kelly to believe she was her mother."

        "That's why Marie is taking this so much harder...She's Kelly's real mom..."

        Tyler nodded, "My dad returned a little over a year ago, searching for Marie. He almost found her, but then, he found Kelly. He had been tracking her for a while, having our uncle watch her and take her to parties, befriending her until finally--Finally, my uncle took her, raped her in the bathroom of a party, left her, then brought her back to his house where he then sold her."

        Peter was stunned into silence. He sat beside Tyler, who cradled his wounded hand, stopping blood from dripping onto the floor, and soon found it hard to breathe himself. His throat formed a lump that he felt would start making noises soon, being translated into sobs as they escaped his mouth. He forced his hand over his mouth to stop any noise from escaping and sat back in his chair, just thinking, and trying to breathe beyond the hardening lump.

        His throat felt like it was expanding from the inside out, welling up until he would burst with a rain of tears and sobs. He felt so sad for Kelly and her family and all they'd been through. Although, he now didn't blame Marie for her action of stabbing her brother's hand. Even though the event traumatized her, she delivered that baby and allowed her to grow up, loving her as she would if she knew the truth. He wished with all his heart he could find Kelly and bring her home so this broken family could become on again, but he knew it was easier said than done.

        Tyler broke him from his thoughts by saying the doctor was ready for him. Peter nodded and watched Tyler walk after the doctor, still clutching his hand. He tried to stand and follow, but he couldn't find access to his feet or legs. He was stuck, sitting like a stone, on the chair, staring blankly ahead, his eyes glossing over with wattery tears.