Ch 35: Favor

"Kelly...How did--What are you doing here?"

        "Derek, I need to talk to you."

        "Of course, come in, please--What brings you back here? Have you reconsidered my proposal?"

        Kelly drew a deep, slow breath, "No. The answer is still no, Derek. I came to tell you my story."

        After two hours of talking, explaining, and watching Derek's face as she told her story, Kelly finished, sitting in the deafening silence. She watched Derek's face and noticed a glisten in the corner of his eye.

        "So, you will understand when I tell you that I need to turn you in, right?"

        "Of course," Derek said, drawing a deep breath himself, "Kelly, I'm so sorry for all you've been through. It makes me wish I had never accepted you in the first place. I was so cruel, just like all those other men--I--How can I make it up to you?"

        "Turn yourself in. And your father, who purchased me in the first place. That's all I ask, Derek. I won't harm you as I did the others--"

        "Why not? You know I deserve it, Kelly...Why wouldn't you treat me the same way as the other men? What makes me different?"

        Kelly thought for a second, her fist clenching and unclenching in nervousness and slight anger. She then relaxed, letting out a long sigh, "You let me go," she said. Then she stood, heading towards the door. "I expect to read your confession in tomorrow's paper," she said before closing the door behind her. She walked back to the car where Wesley and Peter waited.

        "How'd it go?" Peter asked.

        "No torturing for this one?" Wesley added.

        "No," Kelly said, almost in a whisper, "He's the one who let me go. The least I can do is return the favor."